Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: My 11 year..11 year old..I kind of doubt ear mites

My 11 year old cat, whom is a indoor cat, started to itch her ear exessivly today. We looked in her ear and it looks very clean, so I kind of doubt ear mites. What else could be causing her ear trouble? Thanks, Melony

It could be an allergic reaction to a bug bite or it could be an ear infection.

I would clean it well and search all around for a bump that might indicate a bug bite.

You can clean the outside of the ear with a little peroxide and see if it helps. If it does not start to resolve, you will want to see the vet to have it checked to ensure that there is not an infection.

You should discourage the scratching as much as you can because it can cause a hematoma and they take surgery to repair.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Her ear is totally clean, I would think if it was infected it would be red or swollen. She doesn't have any front claws and seems to be using her front paw to mess with it. I don't think she has scratched it with her back claws. She is also a diabetic, could that have any ramifications on this problem.

Diabetes can be a factor in a lot of problems but I don't think that what you are seeing is caused by that.

Keep in mind that cat's ears are not made like human ears. The infection happens far into the ear so you will not see redness or swelling in the outer ear.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I put some hydrogen peroxide on her ear and if it still seems to be causing her problems tommorow I will have a vet check her out. Thanks for the advice. It was helpfull. Melony
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Just wanted to update anyone whom might want to know. I took Domino (my cat) to the Vets today and there wasn't anything wrong with her ear. The Vet did give her some anti-biotics though because she said she may have a slight gum infection and if there is something that is causing the irritation to her ear that the anti-biotic could help that as well. I also have been using Neosporin with pain reliever on the patch of her ear that has some redness and that seems to help. The vet said to not use Hydrogen Pyroxide because it could dry it out and irritate the spot. But Neosporin is ok to use unless you notice it makes your cat sick then discontinue. Thanks, Melony