NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

spastic cat

Customer Question

I suspect that my cat has cerebellar hypoplasia. I picked her up as a stray. She was in heat. I had her checked for any diseases and she came out clean. I had her spayed about 2 weeks ago. She's never been quite right. She eats well, no blood in stool, etc. She drags her right rear leg and her left eye wanders. She breathes through her mouth and acts catatonic sometimes. She has problems jumping up on things, she bounces off walls, etc. I had her X-rayed yesterday, but nothing showed up. Her bones were fine--no indication of injury or displasia. The vet said she had probably gotten a virus as a kitten and incurred some nerve damage and to give her massive doses of vitamin E, which has been shown to help regenerate nerves. But the vet was not optimistic that the cat would get better. The cat seems to get worse as the days go by. She is very sweet and does not seem to be in pain, but I realize that this can be a survival mechanism. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.

This site has good information on living with at cat with this problem
http://www.messybeast.com/disabled.htm#CH
among other things
"They adapt to these challenges, but will always be clumsy and may be nervous or unsure of themselves in new situations. Barring any accidents caused by their unco-ordination, their life expectancy doesn't seem to be affected and given a safe environment, they live as long as unaffected cats and seem little troubled by their condition.

In humans, the problems would be significant disabilities. CH cats don't worry over their inability to do things in the same way or at the same speed as other cats. Spastic cats can do everything other cats do and are equally independent - they climb fences, play and performs daredevil feats, though they can be alarming to watch, especially as they teeter along a fence."
She probably isn't in pain and as odd as she looks and moves if she seems happy I'd suggest you let the cat tell you if things are not well and let her be her odd self.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I found this website before you responded. I really wanted a professional diagnosis/confirmation that my cat was indeed suffering from this disease and some specific advice on how to proceed. Your answer was "circular," with no new information that I couldn't hadn't already found on my own. You earned your $5.00.

Thanks for your quick response.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
The way it works I can only answer questions that are given. I can't guess at what people do or do not know or what websites they may or may not have seen.
Your description matches what was on that site. I sent you to the site as that seems the easiest way to get you the information you were seeking.
I also added my views based on your description and on the animals I have seen with this problem.
If you only wanted an opinion from a veterinarian you should have asked for that.
If you really want a second veterinar opinion then I'd suggest bringing the cat to a second vet for an in person exam and a review of behavior with you so that you can have a true professional opinion on the health and well being of your pet.
Just so you know I earn nothing unless you hit the accept button. So essentially the info I give is for free unless the person decides to accept it.
I think your cat sounds like one that is doing fine as long as you can live with how she is.
If you see deterioration perhaps a second vet opinion will find something the first vet did not.