Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat starving and multiple problems, urgent help

Customer Question

My 14 year old cat is diagnosd with addison's disease and has unirnary tract infection. She was not easing and was lathargic. A month later she weighs only 6 pounds and won't eat. i suggest stopping the prednisone because doc says it is keeping the infection going. She isn't in pain but won't eat, and then I noticed a brown spot on the roof of her mouth, and don't know what that is, but maybe that's why she won't eat? I forced food in her, so she has had something for first time in 2 days now, but, do we just let her go? Do I let her starve? She comes out for food like she wants to eat, but then can't chew and drops the food like she can't swallow it or has no control. I think I suspect the mouth sore, but she would rather starve herself and die than endure pain??? HELP! MLF
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You should be very worried. Any time that a cat won't eat for more than 48 hours, you are in serious trouble. Their liver can fail and then the cat can die. It is called hepatic lipidosis where the liver thinks it is being starved and starts "grabbing" fat cells...and actually ends up killing the liver.

I suggest that you see the vet first thing tomorrow for a full exam and possibly bloodwork to find out what's going on.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: you ignored the fact that the addison's disease was confirmed. We had blood work done and blood tests. Vet says she has a tumor in her brain, don't know how he knows this. He says she might have lung cancer too. But the questions about whether I should stop the prednisone and get the urinary tract infection under control first is a question.

I have been force feeding her soft food with a bitg syringe. She is getting food now. She wobbles, but doesn't apear in pain. But doesn't show interest in food like she did with the prednisone.

Vet said all we can do is force food in her or intubate her, and decide if we let her go. What's keeping her from eating, the UTI the addison's? is this her way of saying let me die? Will the food I give her bring her around once the UTI is cleared up? Am I avoiding the inevitable? She doesn't show pain, or isn't choking or throwing up.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Her not eating could be from the UTI or it could be from the addison's. It's hard to say.

As for euthanasia, that is a decision that only you can make. You have to decide how far you want to go with this.

This is a pretty tough question to answer and I really think that it's a personal decision that you must make.

I counsel people on this topic all the time, though, and I can tell you what I would tell them.

You should choose three things that your pet loves to do. It might be chasing a feather wand, eating treats, being scratched behind the ears... As he gets older or, maybe, sicker, he will cease being able to do these things that he loves. When one thing is gone, like chasing feather wand, it's ok because he might take up a new activity like sleeping in front of the fireplace. However, when you can no longer find even one thing that he loves to do, it might be time to reevaluate the situation.

As far as guilty feelings go, you should not feel guilty if you decide that your pet is no longer living a happy, content, productive life and you help him to go on to a better place. You have to remember all the good times that you have had with him. We are lucky in that we are allowed to help our pets to move on. Sometimes I wish that we could do the same for people.

Let me know if you have more questions. I fear that my response to you has been too broad.