Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Himalayan: meowing..dilated..breathing fast (nervous..He acts

Customer Question

HI, my 1yr-old Himalayan cat who is a sweetheart and enjoys being loved and petted all of a sudden this morning started meowing very loudly when I petted him or picked him up. His eyes are very dilated and he is breathing fast (nervous?) He acts like he cannot see. His tail is down and he is staying in one area of the house. He can walk fine but it appears to me that he maybe cannot see. What could cause this? Thank you J.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

There are three major causes for blindness in cats.

1. A thyroid condition

2. Liver disease

3. Renal failure

Renal failure is the most common cause. With this, the retinas swell and will detatch, causing permanent blindness, if it is left untreated.

You need to see your vet as soon as you can.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I need to add something. I was able to give him something to drink and eat. ( Very small amt of each.) he vomited it up about 10 minutes later. Is this a sign of any of the above conditions? Also, I have brought his litter to an area where I can monitor whether he uses it or not. He has not vomited again, but he also hasn't eaten or drank anything since the first time. What are the signs of all the possible medical conditions listed above? Thank You.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Unfortunately, you can see this with all of these conditions.

Since your cat is not eating, it's urgent that you see a vet tomorrow.

Any time that a cat won't eat for more than 48 hours, you are in serious trouble. Their liver can fail and then the cat can die. It is called hepatic lipidosis where the liver thinks it is being starved and starts "grabbing" fat cells...and actually ends up killing the liver.

Let me know if you still have questions. I would be happy to tell you what I know.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.

It seems that I was wrong about my cat's possible blindness. I did take him to the vet that night. She said that he could see. He had a fever and was breathing heavily. He was not eating, drinking, urinating, or having a bowel movement. A chest X-ray was done and an opaque film was found but pneumonia was not suspected. One possibility was lymphoma since his CBC count was normal and he was not responding to any antibotics. Feline Leukemia test was negative though. His liver, kidneys, and thyroid test came back normal. His bladder seemed to have urine present but was not expelled during an examination and he didn't seem to be in any pain during the exam. He was started on antibiotics yesterday and as of last night his tempurature had returned to normal. Today his tempurature is still normal which leads us to believe that we can rule out the lymphoma since he has reacted to the antibiotics. His breathing has slowed down and his pupils are no longer dilated. He is now has IV's since he hasn't eaten or drank anything that they could tell and he still has not urinated nor has he had a bowel movement. The vet really doesn't suspect an obstruction of the bladder or elsewhere due to the x-ray and examination. Now we are waiting to see if he urinates from the IV fluids. Once he starts eating and drinking, as well as using the litter box, we can take him home. What is your opinion on this matter? Could he have a virus even though his blood cell count was normal including the white cells? What is your opinion on this matter now? Thank You, Jami
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Since he is showing marked improvment with the antibiotics, I feel led to think that he had an infection of some sort. Since his care and convalescence is revolving around urination, it might be crystals in the urine or a urinary tract infection that is the culprit.

I am glad to hear that you saw the vet!

Let me know if you still have specific questions. I would be happy to tell you what I know.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.

I picked Nekko up from the Vet earlier today. He used the litter and is eating well. He seems to be back to normal like nothing ever happened. I do need to keep him on Baytril for 10 days and take him back for another chest X-ray. I am so happy that he is home and is doing well. Jami
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Great! I am glad to hear it!

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank You!

I do have a question--one that I asked the Vet. I think he did chew a little of my spider plant the night before all of this happened. I had moved it to a lower spot and noticed him playing with it; unfortunately, I forgot to put it back to it's original spot. I am now wondering if this could have been the cause. The Vet said that she found that spider plants are not as toxic as thought to be and did not think that this was the cause. I on the other hand really can't figure how he could've had a virus with the blood count being within normal range. He is back to his normal self now. What do you think? Thanks, Jami
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I agree with the vet. They are not so toxic that a cat mouthing them a little will hurt them.