Dr Andrea
Dr Andrea, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary practice for 18yrs, owner of 10+ cats, cat rescue, cat showing
197945

Cat: week.Cat has come back skin and bones..He cant stand up.

Customer Question

Cat has been gone for a week.Cat has come back skin and bones. He will not eat. He can't stand up. Cats skin is yellow. And cat has no sence that milk or any food is in front of him. What is wrong? Why is his skin yellow.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Andrea replied 11 years ago.
Your kitty is seriously ill. Yellow skin indicates his liver may be failing. He needs to get to a vet ASAP.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Andrea J Cecur DVM's Post: I WAS VERY SURE THAT MY CAT WAS ILL. BUT I CANT TAKE HIM TO VET RIGHT NOW. THAT IS WHY I WAS IN SEARCH FOR A ANSWER NOW. NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO TILL I CAN GET HIM TO THE VET.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

I THINK THAT ANYONE OFF THE STREETS COULD HAVE TOLD ME WHAT YOU TOLD ME. I'M NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR ANSWER.ALSO YOU GOT OFFLINE RIGHT TIME YOU ANSWERED THAT WAS A RIPE OFF. AND YOU SAY THAT YOU HAVE BEEN A VETERINARY FOR HOW LONG. GOOD GOD HELP THE PETS THAT GO TO YOU.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

You should be very worried. Any time that a cat won't eat for more than 48 hours, you are in serious trouble. Their liver can fail and then the cat can die. It is called hepatic lipidosis where the liver thinks it is being starved and starts "grabbing" fat cells...and actually ends up killing the liver.

This may be seeing the yellow skin or eyes. Liver failure is serious.

I suggest that you see the vet first thing tomorrow for a full exam and possibly bloodwork to find out what's going on.

Let me know if you still have questions.

I am sorry you did not like my answer,and I cannot stay online until I get replies to all postings because most don't answer for hours. I answered your question about what was wrong, why he is yellow and advised what needed to be done. There is not a whole lot you can do at home for such an ill cat. I just had to emphasize that this is something that is very seriousand needs immediate attention.