Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Neutered cat problem, possibly.

Customer Question

my neutered cat is just developing this problem with his hind end.He is 7 1/2 yrs old and has been neuterd as soon as the vet would alow it. He gets touchy when we pet him near his tail. Never before.(no fleas)He is an indoor cat, declawed and has not been outside or had an accident of any sort. I have known a friend who had a nueterd cat and this happened to their cat after several years as well and they thought it was because of the neutering. could this be the problem? If so why? and is there anything I can do to help him? Is he in pain? Thank you.
Jolene
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am not aware of any concerns with neutering that could be the cause of this. Sometimes neutering can cause incontinence but this sounds to be completely unrelated.

I would see the vet for an exam and to have this checked.

The most common cause of this aggression around the tail is a flea allergy, even if you don't see fleas. It feels pretty good to them to have it scratched so they get a little excited when you do. To check for fleas, you should use a narrow tooth comb and comb through the hair over a white towel or paper towel. If you see black dirt fall out, that's flea dirt. If you wet it, it will look like smears of blood.

Keep in mind that cats can also have problems with their anal glands and this can cause a great deal of pain in their hind end. If you suspect this, your vet can express the glands and give him some relief.

Let me know if you still want to discuss this. I would be happy to tell you what I know.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you. He definately doesn't have fleas. And he isn't having a problem going to the bathroom. He has always been very very lovey, and still is but when we pet near the tail he perks up and quickly puts his head back there as to nip but doesnt. There has been no change in diet, he still eats iams wet and dry food (since he was born)I have a hard time brushing him there as well. I havent taken him to the vet yet because I can not afford it. I just recently was in an accident and am not working. I have been trying to look stuff up on the internet but am getting nowhere. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jolene
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
He might be starting some arthritis.
Glucosamine and chondroitin can be used in cats. The veterinary product which contains both of these ingredients, is Cosequin but there are other good ones too such as Glycoflex - see www.kvvet.com for one source or check on www.froogle.com for 'glucosamine cat' and then sort by lowest prices. It seems to help my animals. I've also uses Adequan, an injectable glycosamine with my old cat and older dogs and that also seems to work and can 'jump start' the animal to where using the pills helps. The injectible stuff is only from the vet though.
My old siamese does just what you say your cat does - my vet said all that jumping that cats do can lead to some arthritis in the spine or hips.
You may find this article on reading your cat's body language helpful
www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/health/cat_talk.htm
Hope this helps you!