Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience:  Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
15822

cat sick

Customer Question

my cat is not acting normally. lethargic diarehia, vomiting. hides and doesn't eat only drinks water What can i do until I ger her to a vert
Category: Cat
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 11 years ago.

As long as she is drinking water, she will not be easily getting dehydrated, but it is also what could be indirectly causing her to vomit more. But, you must get her into a cool area, and make sure she is not outside, especially with the heat the way it is. Try to pet her and comfort her, and if you possibly have some way to take her temperature rectally, you might have some one help you with that. A normal temp for a cat is about 101 to 101.5 (Please check out the following website):

http://www.petfocused.com/pet-health/pet-fever.php

Is she spayed? There is always the possibility of symptoms such as these, when a cat is pregnant. Unless you know she is spayed and has not been around any un-neutered male cats.

If you have a number for your vet that lets you leave a message, call them tonight, and let them know that you need to have her seen as soon as possible in the morning. If she seems to get much worse, you may have to take her to an emergency vet during the night. I am looking at the clock and it is almost one am now.

She may just have a virus, or it could be a number of things, causing her symptoms. Her age, and if she has any other health issues that you can tell us about.

Is she urinating okay? There is always the possibility of a urinary tract infection. Does she have her shots?

Let us know if you can, her age, and when this all began.

God bless and good luck!

Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience: Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: Oreo is 14 years abd has been very healthy for the last ten years. She needs her shots and she is spayed. She just had fleas and I sprayed her with flea spray. I just hope she didn't ger sick from that.

Please let us know how you are doing with Oreo, and there is a possibility that the flea spray might have hurt her, but that is something you should not feel guilty over.

I hope she is better, and please keep us informed. It is good she is spayed. At 14 years old, she is considered fairly old, but she still could live more years, if she remains indoors and is fed a good quality food and you keep regular vet appointments for her, especially if something seems to be wrong with her, and try to catch any illnesses in the early stages.

God bless and hope to hear how she is doing.