Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

kittens: cage borrowed..door meowing loudly and hissing..litter box

Customer Question

Our Mama Cat has become aggressive toward her 8 week old kittens between this morning and tonight. I kept them in a cage borrowed from the local animal shelter, that had been kept outside but that I didn't wash off....Should I keep them separated? Right now she's on one side of the door meowing loudly and hissing, and they're stuck inside the closet without a litter box. Could she hurt them? Is this normal?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

At this age, she is telling them that it's time to stop nursing and she's separating herself from them.

Now it's time for you take an additional step and give her the means to do this.

You need to separate them. Put mom in a different room with her own litter box and get those kittens weaned.

Don't forget that this is a good time to spay mom! She will go right back in heat if you don't.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I have a one bedroom loft apartment with basically two closed rooms; the closet and the bathroom, to which my husband must have 24 hour access. Mama Cat, who doesn't belong to me and came in through our bedroom window, has a meowing thing that my neighbors don't appreciate very much. I just know that if I put her in the bathroom either my husband will let her out or she'll keep everyone up the remainder of the night meowing. Right now I have her outside and they won't eat either the Iams kitten,Iams adult or Friskie's wet of any flavor.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I guess all I still need to know is whether or not she will likely hurt them, as I have a loft apartment with one door and can't really separate them. Right now the Mom is outside and not liking it very much, even though she doesn't live here....
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If mom is just growling hissing and batting at them then she probably is just telling them off as Tammy said. The thing is if she is biting them or clawing them seriously that would be something else. If she eats in front of them that might help with the weaning too.
You can see if they will eat some scrambled hamburger mixed in with the dry food or some boiled chicken chopped up and mixed in to get them started on real food. They should be hungry by this morning and willing to try something for real food. You can also try mixing it with goats milk or KMR. Goats milk: Most grocery stores carry goats milk, and it is available in condensed form to keep in the cupboard.
KMR: Available from a pet store, your vet or a feed store and its Kitten Milk Replacer or Just Born milk replacer.
Another possibility is that mom is not feeling well or is coming into season again which is why she is acting rough with the kittens. If you are working with the SPCA on this litter maybe they will take mom and some or all of the kittens to rehome now?
If you let her in then be ready with a thick towel to throw over her if you think she is being too rough so you can pick her up and put her back outside.
If you have a plant mister or spray bottle you can be ready with that too to squirt her if she gets too rough with the kittens.
Hope this helps you!