Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

meds and kittens

I have two kittens that are three months old that have a cold in addition to runny eyes. We have terramycin for the eyes and penicillin for the cold, and needles for the cats. Do they need 1 cc's or 2cc's per shot and for how long?

I don't think that these drugs alone are going to cure it for you. And kittens should NEVER be given Terramycin because it can cause severe tooth staining and other problems.

If the problem is serious, my vet would put the cats on one of the antiviral drugs such as acyclovir (Zovirax), vitamin A and lysine, and tetracycline (Terramycin used only in adult cats) ophthalmic ointment or oral doxycycline (Vibramycin).

Keep in mind that these symptoms can be because of herpes virus. In this case, they could need supportive care for a lifetime.

These drugs that you have will not only be ineffective but they can also hurt the cats.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: the info on the terramyicin was helpful, thankyou, however... the kittens at 1 1/2 months old all had green pus in their eyes with a cold. We gave them 1cc intramuscular injections once a day for 4 days. The symptoms went away completely. in apox. 1 week the symptoms returned. this cycle has happened twice now in addition an older(7+)family cat now has the exact same symptoms however the other family cat has spent just as much time with the kittens and shows no signs of any problems. We thought that the duration or dosage info might not be correct, but it was given to us by a vet assistant. We have 75 ml of penicillin injection left(Penicillin G Procaine Injectable Solution U.S.P. 300,000 Units per mL)Why would the shots clear up the symptoms if it was a virus? Why is it that you say herpes? thankyou so much for your initial promptness and help.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Tammy... thankyou for the info regarding the terramyicin, I will not use it. However, we have already used 25-35 mL of the bottle twice before. you see initially we were told that the litter needed one intra-muscular injection of 1 cc once a day for four days. This was when they were about 2 monthes old. This worked for approx. 1 week and then the infection in their eyes and nose came back. We have repeated this cycle twice and now I'm wondering if I have the wrong dosing info or just the wrong medicine altogether. Also, one of the kittens is showing no signs of infection at all. Now one of the adult cats is infected. the other is not though, it's kind of weird because this started with the kittens and now one doesn't have anything and the other is very bad off. You wipe his eyes and less then 2 minutes later they start 2 puss up again. I am trying to avoid having to go to the vet but at this point it seems inevitible. Also, why did you say herpes, this seems kind of unusal given the fact that the adult male contracted the same thing so quick? Please help.   Thankyou!!! You're great Tammy!!!