NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

kitten: that I rescued..tummy..eating well and drinking plenty..fleas

Customer Question

I have a three month female kitten that I rescued from being destroyed. She has been doing great and 2 days ago, she wsas crying cause she could not jumped from the bed and she has done that many times before. My husband put her down and noticed that she could not walk.. Her tummy was swollen, she has been eating well and drinking plenty of water.. was tested for feline leukemia and it was negative.. has no fleas. Took her to the vet and he took xrays to show me that she had a lot of feces and she needed to get them out, so he gave her two enemas, body fluids, antiobiotic ., Anytime we hold her she cries, you can tell she is in pain. She wont walk, instead she goes sideways and lies down... Has no fever, eyes and ears are fine. We hope that the full stomach wasthe cause , but it is not. She has a great appetite, but again her stomach seems big.. but she continues to eat. Can you please give me any ideas as to what can be wrong. I have read and read a lot of stuff that attack kittens. She had no parasites either.. Please please helpme.. I have cried for three days to the poing that i had to go to emergency my husband thought I was having a heart attack. Do u believe this is a neurological problem? I see they have a lot of disorders that I have never heard of... spina bifida, brain injury ; strokes, fekline vestibular disorder and a host of duseases, But Socks was perfect until two days ago. I have had him since he was 5 days old.. What do I do.. I know that MRI are expensive, but an MRI of what.. he has no cuts on his head or body.. anyways, please help me   When we pick her up she cries which means she is in pain Elizabeth
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Did the vet say anything about megacolon which could be causing the back up of feces?
You can read about dealing with that problem here
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/megacolon.html
and there are links to more data on the bottom of the page.
You may find chaning the diet as the article suggests will help a lot.
Another possibility would be a food sensitivity or intolerance that is causing the problem. You can see if swapping to a high quality food from a pet supply store - or changing which food you use can help. Products such as Felidae (see www.canidae.com for dealers) or California Natural Cat, or Chicken Soup for the Catlover might do better by her than what you are now feeding.
I'm not sure which sex your cat is - males are more apt to have this problem and you used both he and she to refer to your pet - but another possibility might be a bladder obstruction with crystals in the urine. That too would cause as swollen and painful abdomen.
But as the cat felt a little better after the vet's treatment the problem might be with the intestines or the food the cat is eating.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi: Your answer was not very helpful. Sorry. Socks is a female and she is able to go potty well. Her belly is bloated and the vet gave her two enema since she had a lot of feces. He took xrays of her spine and it showed the feces.. Could she have something like thromboembolish, diabetes, hyperthyroid, cardiomyopathy. Well i see there are a lot of things she could have. She is well and is was eating dry food with friskies soft food. I am afraid of the neurologist that she was referred to will charge me a lot and negative results. My husband was me to put her to sleep - dont know what to do. Can u make any suggestions?   I have a 5-page document that has all of these conditions.. Her legs are wobblier and she is in pain when u touch her but she eats well. Her hind legs just sort of fall over and she decides to lie-down. Should she have a cardiac ultrasound exam? Could she havew a spinal injury or low blood potassium? Well such a great variety of things.. I am so depressed. Elizabeth

Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Cardiomyopathy should have shown in the abdominal x-ray - the heart enlarges and that is visible on the x-ray.
She might have a spinal injury but again that should have shown on the x-ray your vet took.
Megacolon is one thing that causes what you are saying you are seeing.
If she were hyperthyroid she'd be thinning not getting bloated.
An embolism doesn't sound likely either.
You don't seem to have any test results that would rule out megacolon or a food intolerance which seem the most likely from your descriptions. Grocery store foods can cause lots of problems in cats - many do far better on higher quality foods such as I suggested.
The retention of feces could be what is making the other things you see happen.
If UC Davis is near to you perhaps that would be a resource for you to seek out to find out what care would resolve this problem for your cat.
http://www.daviswiki.org/Vet_Med_Teaching_Hospital is a link to their vet clinic.
Experience: 30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I went to the Davis website but could not get any information on feline diseases???
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
As the clinic is in CA I thought you would like to see the site to decide if it was one you might want to take your pet to for evaluation and second opinion on the problems.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
You did not sent me the names of the specialists in California.. I need the name(s) so I can contact them. I paid $20.00 for a reply but did not get one. Thanks
Elizabeth
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
This site lists veterinary practices in California if you do not want to try taking your kitten to the UC Davis veterinary clinic.
http://www.vetworld.com/vetusa/california.html
it gives a short bit about the type of practice and may link to individual sites.
It lists places near you and further away
One I saw was this one that was cats only
*The Cat Care Clinic
2638 North Tustin Avenue
Orange, California 92665
Tel: 714-282-CATS (2287)
Dr. Wexler-Mitchell
Hours: Mon-Fri: 7:00am-6:00pm; Sat: 7:30am-4:00pm
Info: Board Certified in Feline Practice *Cats Only*
another was this one
Antioch:
*Hillcrest Cat Hospital XXXXX at Wildhorse Road
Antioch, CaliforniaNNN-NN-NNNN

Tel: 510-757-CATS(2287)
Fax: 510-757-67112
EMail Hillcrest Cat Hospital

Dr. Brian C. Maloney
Dr. Margaret Z. Bivens

Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:00am-7:00pm; Saturday: 8:00am-2:00pm; Sunday: By Arrangement
This is a Feline Speciality practice. However, housecall services are available for both dogs and cats.