Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Help with my newer kitten!

I got my kitten two weeks ago. She is a female, ~ 11 weeks old, and the foster home where she was said she had all her shots and is fixed. (I could tell she got fixed by the stitches) She won't use any kind of litterbox and goes anywhere and everywhere. She doesn't cover it up and will go in the open (#1 and #2 (I have tried all the methods!!!). They said she was using a litter box with the other kittens at the foster home. I don't think her hearing is the best either? Also, she is very mellow and letharagic and sleeps a lot. Her poop has recently gotten runny. She is not a typical playful kitten. Any help?

What you are seeing is usually caused by a parasite problem or a protzoan problem. You not only have to worry about parasites but you also have to worry about coccidia and giardia. I suggest that you either see the vet for a fecal exam or take a stool sample to your vet to rule this out (or in!) before you try anything else.

This could be solved with a simple deworming.

Keep in mind that parasites can cause the cat to feel terrible and therefore they will not be as active, will have poor bathroom habits and can be a general problem.

Until you can see the vet, you can switch her over to a bland diet of baby food only (no treats, table food or cat food). Give small amounts throughout the day. Be sure and choose a product that does not contain onions or garlic.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.

congratulations on your new addition.
Here is some information you my find helpful.
at 11 weeks of age she can not have had all her shots because most states do not allow rabies to be given before 13 weeks of age. if her stool is getting runny and she is lethargic she could possible have an intestinal parasite. coccidia is very common in kittens and is characterized by a runny yellow stool. often cats will not use there litter box if they are having pain with urination or defecation because they associate the box with pain. often people give cats cows milk because they like it but it is not easily digested by a cats system it can often cause G.I. upset. either way i would strongly recommend a fecal exam by your vet
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: She is peeing all over the place as well. Could this still be the problem? I have lost my job and have no income right now. Where can I take her that is low cost or free in San Diego, CA? I seriously have no money.
nemex is a cheap dewormer available over the counter at most vets and feed stores. it will not cure coccidia or giardia bet it will take care of most hookworms and roundworms which are very common parasites in pups and kittens. if the litter box is in a high traffic area or next to a dryer or another loud applience you may want to change it to a quieter location. if she is sharing a litter box with another cat get her her own some cats wont share. if the box is covered try an uncovered box or the other way around. if you have tried diffrent litters you may want to try plain stright out of the yard dirt in the box i now it does not do much for oder control but it beats the carpet. one of the vets i work for has a cat who will only use sand and if it isn't there he will go in the potted plants. peeing all over the place would make me suspicious of a urinary tract infection although that is not that common in very small kittens. either way something is not right and as soon as you can get the finances together see needs to see a DVM

To save money, you can take a stool sample to your vet in a plastic bag instead of make an appointment. Most vets will not charge you for an office visit if you do this. After they take a look, they can tell you if an over the counter wormer might work or if you need a prescription.

I hope this helps more!

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I took her to the vet and no worms or parasites. They were not sure what her problem is. She lost about 1/2 lb since she was last weighed. I am worried about her.
If you are not feeding what the foster home fed you might want to try her back on that.
I would confine her to a room you can clean easily and make the cat box really obvious maybe even get a small kids wading pool if you have the space so most of the room is 'litterbox'.
I would also call the foster home and ask about litter type used and foods used.
She may have a food intolerance, she might have a protozoan such as giardia. Sometimes just doing the antibiotics for intestinal issues works to clear up non specific infections.
This does sound worrisome and I think you may need to play detective with the foster home's help to figure out what is going on.
You can read about diarrhea problems here
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/diarrhea.html
And if there is any possibility the kitten may have eaten a non food item that too should be considered.
My cat that was sick for months turned out to have eaten the tips off plastic grass in a artificial arrangement. Didn't show on x-ray but when they finally made it through to the litter box (some were 4 inches long!) he got better!
Hope this helps you!