mandyrae81
mandyrae81,
189589

cat: losing weight and is very skinny

Customer Question

my cat is 7 years old. She has always remained small. (most people think she is a kitten) Now she is losing weight and is very skinny.   She has IAMs food available to her at all times and she eats well but she does throws up often. Her energy level seems fine. I have wormed her.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If you wormed her at home, you might not have gotten the problem taken care of. There are MANY different types of worms and each over the counter wormer that you can buy treats a different one.

I would suggest that you take a fecal sample to your vet and have them take a look and let you know what you are dealing with. If they find parasites, they can give you an appropriate wormer. Most vets won't charge for an office visit for this.

Also, if you have not had her tested for FIV/FelV, you will want to do so as soon as you can. Cats with disease are often not as healthy as others and you want to be aware of potential problems.

Since she is vomiting often, she might have reflux disease. If this is the case, your vet can prescribe an antacid like tagamet to help.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Expert:  mandyrae81 replied 11 years ago.
if the fecal and FIV/FeLV come back inconclusive some more avenues you may want to persue include:
hyperthyroidism which is a common problem in older cats which can cause rapid wight loss and possible hyperactivity and overeating without weight gain your vet can do a simple blood test to determin if this is the case. and it is easily managed with medication

another common cause for rapid wight loss in older cats is diabetes mellitus which is caracterized by weight loss, excessive water intake and urination, and vomiting. if this is the case the prognossis is garded at best. it is expensive and depending on the cats dispision difficult for the owner to manage at home