Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Kitten Help!! Urinary problems...

Customer Question

I have an 8 month old female Calico rescue who has been litter box trained for the past week. All of the sudden she has become very vocal, meowing all the time, and she is constantly squatting down with her butt up in the air, as if it is uncomfortable to put it down on the floor. I can see that she has tiny droplets of urine around her genitals, but she won't go to the bathroom. I can feel that her bladder is not swollen, so this is very strange. What should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Has she been spayed?

If not, this could be classic female in heat symptoms. Females in heat might walk low to the ground, vocalize, be very affectionate and flag their tail to the side.

If you have not had her spayed yet, you will want to do so. If you have already done so, let me know and I'll give more suggestions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Her spaying appointment is for June 29th, thanks so much. Is there anything that I can do meanwhile?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Unfortunately, the only way to ease her pain is to spay her. Cats can be spayed when they are in heat so you might just want to see if you can move her appointment up.

Sometimes is seems like a heat cycle can last forever. Keep in mind that they can go out of heat and then go right back in.

Be SURE to keep her away from males. You don't want her to get pregnant at this age.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Unfortunately, she has already been pregnant, and gave birth before we rescued her :-( Our vet said she's in perfect health though, so that's good. Is it ok for me to hold her during this time?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
It's ok for you to hold her. Just keep in mind that there might be a little "mess" even though cats are pretty clean with their cycle.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX final question... I have two male neutered cats in the house, is it ok for her to be around them? so far they've been fairly ambivalent to her presence, besides the skiddish one running away now and then.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If they have been neutered (at least a couple of weeks ago) they cannot get her pregnant but they can still mount and mate with her.

Just keep this in mind when you plan their sleeping quarters!