Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: bladder stones..paper thin..very low protein levels. My vet says

Customer Question

My cat recently had bladder stones removed,
but instead of a thick-walled bladder, it was
paper thin. He also has very low protein
levels. My vet says these are all counter to
what they expect to find and is worried there is
another cause to his illness. He
has had to have fluids (was found to be urine)
tapped from his chest cavity. His condition is
very guarded and I just want my cat
to get healthy. Has anyone seen this
particular symptom with another cat? He was
in obvious distress (vocalizing and drooling)
one night and I took him to the vet the next day.
Surgery was performed and it has been
downhill ever since. Yesterday he had a blood
transfusion because his protein level was so
low and he was pale and lethargic. After the
whole blood transfusion, he started having
difficulty breathing and they tapped his
chest cavity to drain fluids. This a.m. he is
doing better, but still has low protein levels.
Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Has your vet talked with you about FIC (Feline Idiopathic Cystitis)?

If not, there is a very informative website that describes this disease that I want you to take a look at:

http://www.fabcats.org/flutd.html

About 65 percent of cats suffering from cystitis have a condition called idiopathic cystitis, with changes to the lining of the bladder. The bladder lining is a thin film of protective mucus (glycosaminoglycan, or GAG) that prevents microbes or crystals from sticking to the bladder wall.

Sand (crystals) or stones (uroliths) in the bladder account for about 10 percent of urinary tract obstructions. In 60 percent of cats, material leaks from the inflamed bladder wall, producing a substance that can accumulate in the urethra, forming a urethral plug.

If a cat is also producing some urinary crystals, these accumulate in the plug, making it even more likely to cause a full obstruction.

Finding a few crystals in urine is not significant on its own unless there is associated disease or a history of previous disease. Equally, finding no crystals does not rule out a stone in the bladder. Some stones shed no crystals.

Let me know if you have more questions.

You might also want to print the article mentioned above so that you can take it with you to your next appointment.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I just received word that Jack passed away. I thank you for your suggestion, but unfortunately, the answer did not arrive in time.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. I know that this cannot be easy for you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.