NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

Lump on Cats neck

Customer Question

Our 2yr old domestic cat (weight 11lbs.) Has a lump the size of a ping pong ball just below his left ear/cheek.
He has eaten very little in the past 2 days. I just dicouvered the lump.
He was bitten by something about 2 months ago and had a fever of 105 he was treated with antibiotics back then and bounced back right away.
Since it's friday 7 P.M. I gave hime a 22.7 mg Baytril.
Can I also give him a Benadryll? He seems not to have a fever this time.
We live up in the mountains of North Georgia. (lots of insect problems)
Thanks for your help. Lisa
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You can also use a hot/warm wet towel on the spot to try and keep the abcess concentrated or to get it to open and drain.
This might be an abcess from a puncture or it might be one from a tooth break or infection.
It could also be a lymph node but usually when they come up this fast its an infection of some sort.
If it is an abcess and opens to drain you can clean it up with betadine or 3% peroxide and hot pack it a couple times a day or so to keep it open and draining.
You do not want to use benadryl with your cat.
You can read about drugs to avoid in a cat here
http://maxshouse.com/Drugs_To_Avoid_in_Cats.html
Do try to get to the vet with him for a check and perhaps antibiotics as soon as you can manage.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi Nancy,
Thanks for getting back so soon.
My husband and I just checked the lump and cannot find a wound on the outside on his neck. I put my finger in his mouth and you can the lump inside the mouth (cheek).
"Jim" loves to be outside 90 percent of the time. He's champion bug catcher and has been sunning himself alongside bails of pinestraw. (the last time he had a problem was when we had just put down pinestraw).
Both my husband and I seem to feel the lump getting bigger, but that could be us over reacting.
Should I still do the compress even though I can't find the wound?
Like I said. I gave him the Baytril antibiotic already. That is suggested once a day.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes even if its a closed abcess the warm wet pack will help bring it to a head.
The heat may pull it bigger as it pulls infection from other parts of his mouth area.
Goal is to get infection concentrated and open and draining if its an infection and not a bug bite. I'd expect you to see a sting or bite wound if it was a bee or a spider that got him.
Measure the lump with a length of string and then you can check it later to see if its bigger.
Just mark the string with a magic marker or pen to know how big it was around or across so you can check it later.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi Nancy,
I didn't get your answer until this morning. My husband just took "Jim" to the vet.
He must have had the chills also. He slept on my neck all night.
I didn't do the warm compress but the lump didn't seem to be getting larger, your right though. It seemed to have spread width wise.
We should know soon enough.
Thanks again
Lisa
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi Nancy,
You were right!
"Jim" had a bite that we couldnot see.
His is right now at the vets getting put to sleep so that he can have it drained. He also had a fever. I guess that's why he was so cold and slept on my neck.
He loves to catch moles with the dog. That's what we figured got him.
Thanks Again!
Lisa and Ed
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Thats what it sounded like to me - he should feel lots better with the abcess drained.
Cat skin often heals over a small bite leaving bacteria underneath to grow and suddenly whoosh up to a big abcess.
You are welcome!