Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Good kitty gone bad

Customer Question

I acquired 2 cats from the same litter about a year and a half ago when they were 8 weeks of age. They were inseperable (including lots of playfighting) until recently, when one started hissing and growling loudly at the other with regularity, including a slash on her nose. Factors that may have influenced the behavior change include: housing my brother's cat for a week while he moved (this cat left 1 week before behavior change), a cat that comes to the back window and loudly caterwauls (this seems to have gone on for some time, but the most recent occurrence seems to have coincided with the behavior change). The cat that has not changed behavior used to go "nuts" when the other cat was at the back door, while the newly hissing and growling cat usually just retired to under a couch or another room. The cat came by for several months before the behavior started, but it has now been going on for two weeks. Is there anything I can do to help mend the relationship, or will it ever work itself out? Thanks for ANY help you can provide!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

There are a couple of things here that you can do.

First, you should have the cats spayed or neutered as soon as you can if you have not done so already. This can help to ease some of the agression.

I also suggest that you help to relieve their anxiety by using an all natural product called homeopet (www.homeopet.com) and see if it helps any.

I do think that the behavior is caused by the interruptions from the other cats. Many times, perfectly normal cats will start to fight because an outside cat is in heat.

With time and some patience, they will return to being best buddies in no time.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your help with this Tammy, I needed a specialist to ease my nerves. I have plenty of time and patience, so that's good. They are both spayed, so fortunately that won't be a problem. I've trimmed their front claws as well to help avoid more slashes!