NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

cat: her throwing up hair balls thank gosh, but she sheds bad

Customer Question

I brush my cat everyday, she is 3 yrs. old. I have never had a problem with her throwing up hair balls thank gosh, but she sheds bad & when she's brushed Iam amazed at the amount of hair I get off from her. I vaccum all the time because of this. Give me some input please, she's a beautiful calico & loves being groomed (except baths). Thank you for your input. georgianna Fox
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Some people find that using Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids as an additive to the diet helps with shedding. Derm Caps and other products such as oil of evening primrose capsules have these fatty acids in them.
Also using a higher grade food can help. If you are using grocery store food you might find the cat sheds less on a premium food like Felidae (see www.canidae.com for locations that sell this) or California Natural Cat etc.
But cats do shed twice a year and shedding is actually controlled by the amount of light they get daily not by temperature.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy, thank you for your help. I definitely will try your suggestions, my husband will be very happy also since he says I wear out vaccum cleaners & oreck cleaners are not cheap! lol thanks again Georgianna Fox P.S. will the omega e also help our sh*tzu with dry skin?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes if the dog has dry skin then the fatty acids might help the dog too. And for the dog also a better quality diet might help a lot.
If you don't have them both on flea prevention of a type that keeps the fleas from biting that might help too. Sometimes just a little bite from one flea can set an animal off shedding coat and itching.