NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

cats: fed..Meow Mix..has been throwing up this food, every few days

Customer Question

I have two cats, a boy ( 9lbs) and a girl (11lbs). I fed my cats Meow Mix since I got them and they both seemed to like very well. But within the last few months, the girl cat has been throwing up this food, every few days. I have tried other dry cat foods and she throws those up too. But she doesn't seem to lose any weight. I use a bowl that has two sections, fill both sides, and a separate bowl for water. I feed the cats every morning before I go to work, if the bowl is empty. The throw up is ruining the carpet in the apartment I rent.
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If you have not used a hairball remedy with them you might want to try that first to see if that resolves the problem. A product like Laxatone or any of the several out there might help.
You may also want to change foods. Supermarket foods are seldom very high quality and a better food my resolve your problem too.
I know my cats ceased throwing up when I swapped them to Felidae canned and dry food. You can see places that sell that one at www.canidae.com.
But lots of other great cat foods out there available from pet supply stores including Blue Buffalo, California Natural, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover and many more.
Cats like dogs can develop an intolerance to a food and this might be what the problem is. Higher quality ingredients and fewer dyes etc might be the best cure for the problem - if the hairball remedy doesn't solve it.
You may find an enzyme type cleaner such as Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution or Odor Mute will help get the stains out of the rug for you.
Hope this helps you!
Expert:  gemee replied 11 years ago.

Nancy is correct! Supermarket brands tend to be of low quality. My cats also had a problem of throwing up quite a bit, after eating. I did a comparison of ingrediants of what was in the brand that they were eating, and with Chicken Soup For The Cat Lover's Soul, and I was appalled. The brands purchased at the supermarket, were chock full of hard-to-digest grains, such as wheat, corn, and soy. On the other hand, premium brands such as Chicken soup, had easy-to-digest ingrediants, such as rice and oats, along with other wholesome protein sources. Aftermaking the switch to Chicken Soup dry food, I virtually never see any vomiting, unless it is hairball-related.

You will find the more premium brands at your local pet or feed stores. Some brands that I like, are California Natural, Innova Evo, Solid Gold, Felidae, and Pet Guard. There are scores of others, but the most important thing is to check the ingrediants.

Meow Mix may be tasty to cats, but it is full of artificial colorings and flavorings, to which cats can develope sensitivity to, over time. It also has low nutritional value, as compared to some of the brands that I mentioned above. Make a switch to a premium brand, and I bet you will see the vomiting cease.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
While these are good suggestions, they are suggestions I have already tried. I had been feeding my cats Meow Mix, switched to premium brands and she still threw up. So I went back to the Meow Mix because I figured why pay so much money if it doesn't really help the problem. I was trying to figure out if I need to take the cat to the vet or not, and if yes then what I could expect.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
What premium brands did you try? and what hairball remedies are you using?