Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Feline lymphoma

Customer Question

My Calico cat, Cleo, is a 16yr old neutered female. Two weeks ago we noticed blood in her urine in the litter box. Cleo also has been diagnosed as having an enlarged right kidney and hematuria. Our vet referred us to the GA Veterinary Specialist for evaluation through an MRI. he cytological interpretation was suspicious for Lymphona. The microscopic description was: 4 slides. Afew nucleated cells are present on a lightly stained background. There are also a few clusters of large cells, suggestive of lymphoid cells. Nuclei are round and darkly staned. Thin rims of blue stained cytoplasm are seen. There are scattered fat globules. Comment: There are scattered mesenchymal cells but also cells consistent with those of lumphoid origin involving the kidney is much more common which is why lymphoma is suspected. However additional rests, perhaps a biopsy is suggested to confirm the diagnosos.

Question. Is a biopsy of this type invasive or by removal of tissue with a needle? Would this type of biopsy affect the remaining life span of Cleo.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

A true biopsy is a medical procedure in which the cat is anesthetized and a sample is taken surgically.

A needle aspiration is where they use a needle to draw back some cells and then analyze this under a microscope.

If you want to know what you're dealing with and seek treatment, you need to go for the biopsy. If you feel like she has lived a good life and you don't want to persue further treatment, you are not required to get the biopsy.

At this age, treatment might just consist of keeping your cat comfortable until his last days. You never know.

I am very sorry that you are going through this.

Let me know if you have more specific questions. I would be happy to answer them.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you foyour response. It helps.