NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

Cat dropped dead...

Customer Question

Cat dropped dead..
Hi, Monday morning I found my 11 mo old kitten dead on my back doorstep.. She was mostly an indoor cat, with the occasional short outdoor visits for an hour or so at a time. I could see no visible injuries, and there was no illness prior. There was blobs of dark browny black "goop" around her body. It appeared not to have come from her otherwise clean mouth..not sure re her backside since there was already some other (small) evidence of faeces. We live in FL near the woods so I was wondering if she was bitten, but could not see those signs either. A friend told me that Persians often have heart problems and this can cause sudden death? She came from a sickly litter of poorly bred (and fostered out)kittens. I am considering adopting her sister from the same litter, but she appears to be dwarfed and has ringworm. I am worried about infecting my other cat also.
Hopefully u can shed some light on my cats death, and offer some advice about how contageous ringworm is, and whether I should risk the heartbreak of adopting another cat with a questionable background.
Thanks so much.. Janiece. [email protected]
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
The most common cause of an outdoor cat death is automobile. The cat may appear unharmed but have had internal injuries from even a glancing blow.
The only way you will know for sure what killed her is if you have your vet do a necropsy examination to find out.
Ringworm is highly contagious to other pets and humans too.
It certainly sounds like your cat's sister could use loving care of a responsible owner but you have to evaluate risks and costs of treatment as to whether you should be that person.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Hi and thanks for your note..

No, she wasnt an outdoor cat, just had little short "excusions" here and there in the yard. We back onto the woods with a no thru road so the chances of a car hitting her are pretty remote. I was finally able to get hold of my vet and he told me that he thinks it is most likely that her questionable breeding background and the fact that Persians often suffer from heart failure. Even at a young age.
He also said it was definaltey not a good idea to take her sister if I didnt want more ringworm problems with her (and my other cat). He also said there is a good chance that I could find this other kitty dead the same way someday as her immunity is weak and she is still tiny. at 11mo.
Sad.... I decided to leave the other kitty with her foster mother and donate money instead to help all of the little lost ones..
Thanks again.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.

Thanks again.
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
I live out in the woods too - within a week of moving out here my cat was hit by a car - by my neighbor in his driveway. All my cats are permanently indoor cats now or go out only to a fenced area they cannot escape from.
I'm glad your vet advised against taking the littermate.
If your vet beleives it could be heart failure no doubt he is basing that on previous examination information. Without a necropsy you just can't be sure is all.
You are welcome and if you found my answer helpful you can use the accept button.