Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

Cats are sniffling

While I was on vacation...My son brought another cat into our home...My sons is 22 & went to visit friends before I got back home...I have been home a week & a half now & this new cat visitor is here...My Cats are suddenly acting sickly...I have 3, all neutered...Shots & boosters are past due on mine...They never go outside...Now the have a young Tomcat visitor drinkly out of their water & eating their food...The cats are sniffling & My older Momma cat, sniffed & sniffed a bit yesterday, until mucus came out her nose...good bit...Tommy my neurtered male cat is hiding , but I can hear him sniff...I was wondering if he is hiding due to the visiting unneurtered young tom or if it is because he is sick...The cats DO Not have their third eyelid up...What could this problem be? When I first got home, all cats seemed fine...Not happy about the visiting cat but getting along better than now ? I also have fleas now in my house & a mouse has shown up...I'm trying to rid this visitor...I was wondering if it could have gave the cats something or maybe the fleas, that wasn't here when I left...I appreciate a answer...Thank you

Cats can definitely have colds, otherwise known as upper respiratory infections.  URI's will come and go and are mostly harmless.  Keep an eye on the secretions from the eyes and nose.  If it turns yellow or green, you need to see the vet.  Otherwise, you can let it run its course.  Be sure that the cat is eating and drinking because they can quickly go downhill if they get dehydrated.

The cat could have brought in fleas AND you should also be worried about FIV/FelV.

The new cat needs a vet visit right away.

If you see any green or yellow mucus from your cats, you need to see the vet with them because that means that an infection may be present.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you sooooooo much for the quick response...I sent this message during a holiday weekend...I was Very concerned...All is going well...Thanx for the insight into what was wrong...This site is wonderful !!!!
You are more than welcome! I am glad that it was helpful to you. We hope you come back with all your pet questions.