Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: he dosent use a litter box..discomfort..loves..no hairball med

Customer Question

my cat is 14 yrs old he can't move his bowls he dosen't use a litter box i don't know how long this has been going on for i think maybe three days he din't seem sick still playfull but now he seems to be in pain or discomfort. all he is doing is going around trying to go he is a inside outside cat loves to hunt and eat his catch also he is on no hairball med.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Any time that a cat has problems with constipation, you have to worry about an intestinal obstruction that might be caused by ingested hair.  Your vet would have to diagnose this.

If it IS simply constipation, you should give him 1 tsp of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) with meals for the next couple of days.  This will help him move his bowels.

At this age, you have to worry more than the average pet owner.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: can you give a cat a enema and thank you very much for responding to my ?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: i have never used this sight before and thought i did reply so if you get this ? twice sorry can you give a cat a enema and if it is a obstruetion the pumpkin will not help that? would this require surgery if it is a obstruetion
and thank you for your time
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

(1 Accepts/1 Questions) Posted: May 29 2005 at 2:21am     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and thank you for your time
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If the cause is constipation, pumpkin will help.  If it's not, it won't.  I would start with the pumpkin and hope for the best.

Obstructions most often need surgery to repair.  I would really not recommend giving an enema at home unless you have been trained to do so.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: i just want you know i took the cat to the vets if he would of died with out me trying to help him it would of been a bitter pill to swallow the vet fells it is a uranary track infection and is keeping him to put in a catherizeation (spelling bad) and IV it was hard to tell if he was moving his bowels of uranating since he goes outside but i really thought it was his bowels and the vet said that would hae been the lesser of two evils well thank you for your help and i can only hope for the best
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am glad that you were able to see the vet!  You sound like a great pet owner!  I wish that more people were like you.

I am hoping for the best for you both as well.