Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

kittens: weeks old..swollen..vommitted a small amount..bleeding

Customer Question

we have kittens that are about 5 weeks old and one got his head caught in the door and his head is swollen now and he just vommitted a small amount, but he is still very active. should we be concerned about internal bleeding or anything else?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Your cat could have a concussion or other problem from the blow to the head.  If the symptoms persist, you will want to see the vet to find out what's going on.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: i am aware of this but my question is could there be internal bleeding that could kill him since he is so young?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I don't think that the chances for internal bleeding would increase because of his young age. 

Yet the possibility still exists that this is a problem that he could have.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell from the outside what might be going on on the inside.

Let me know if you still have more specific questions.  I fear that my answer was a little broad.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: his head has swollen more and more but he is still very playful and active. could this be more harmful to let him play with the other kittens or should we let him be secluded from them?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I don't think that seclusion is going to make a difference.

If he was a dog, I would tell you to give him an  anti-inflammatory but there are no over the counter meds that are safe for cats.

Unforunately, there is not much that you can do at home but wait and see.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: can i give him small doses of ibprofen or tylenol or will this hurt him or make him sick.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

No.  You cannot give either.  There are no over the counter meds that are safe for cats.  Their systems are way too delicate.

Also, if there is a brain bleed, the aspirin would thin the blood and make it worse.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: i am sorry for asking so many questions but i feel so helpless and just want to help my kitten. can i give him any homeopathic medicine.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It's not a problem.  You want to be as educated as you can so keep asking until you get the answers that you need.

What homeopathic remedies are you thinking about?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: well maybe something to help the swelling. as i said before that his head is swelling more and more. his eyes are affected and it seems like his hearing to. he is also very lathargic now, but he did eat and is drinking as normal. should i be more worried like he might not make it through the night?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

There is nothing homeopathic that I know of to help the swelling.

Sorry that I missed this last question last night.

I hope that he is better this morning.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: he is still not any better but his head has not swollen anymore.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
 Were you able to see the vet?