Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: coughing fits about 9 months ago but, never threw up...allergies

Customer Question

I have a male tabby cat, will be 2 years old in July. He was having coughing fits about 9 months ago but, never threw up. The vet game him cortizone and said it was probably allergies. The coughing stopped. For the last month 1/2 he has begun throwing up everyday....minus a day here or there.   3 times it had hair in it. Every other time it's been brown liquid. Sometimes light, sometimes dark - last night the consistency was like molasses.   Occasionaly it may have a piece of food in it. I took him to the vet and they ran all kinds of tests and couldn't find anything wrong. They have him medicine to settle his stomach and when he kept throwing up he they told me to add pepcid and he still throws up all the time.   He also gets hairball medicine.   Now they are going to look down his stomach with a scope. Any ideas on what the problem is?   He's an indoor cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

This could be a simple case of reflux. You should see the vet tomorrow to find out for sure. If this is the case, your vet can prescribe an antacid that will help a great deal.

Until then, you can keep using a dose of hairball remedy right before meals. This coats the throat and helps with acid build up.

You will also want to feed the cat several small meals a day and see if it helps. Jarred baby food works well and is mild enough to soothe the stomach. Try to stick to chicken/rice or another bland food with no garlic or onions.

Your vet might want to prescribe tagamet to help with the reflux.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Reflux was ruled out by the vet.   
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Has he ruled out an intestinal obstruction caused by ingestion of hair?

This would be the next place that I would look. 

I think that the scope is a great idea and it will give you a lot of insight as to what is going on.

You sound like a great pet owner!  I wish more people were like you!