Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cats: one male and one female

Customer Question

I have two cats, one male and one female. The female had kittens about a 2 months ago. NOW my problem is the male cat (Jag) is PHYSICALLY after Kitty (female), biteing her neck, and clawing her, it is horrible. Kitty does not want to be bothered. I try to keep the two seperated but it's difficult when they live under the same roof. What may be the problem? What can I do to resolve this delimma. Thanks and God bless YOU!!!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If she delivered at the time that you have described, she is probably in heat again and he is ready to mate.

You can solve this problem by having them spayed and neutered right away.  If you don't, you are going to have kittens again.

There are low cost spay/neuter programs in almost every city.  You should call your humane society to get a list of participating facilities.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: She is not in heat at this point and time. She was in heat approximately 2 weeks ago, and wihtin that time frame, Jag wanted nothing to do with her. Now she is out of the "heat" mode, but yet Jag insist upon being with her. She does not want to be bothered at all. How can I keep the two apart? If she should go into heat again, and they do mate, that is fine with me because kids love kittens and I ususally give them to a family that has a young child that will enjoy the comfort and pleasure of having a kitten. Kitty is very vulnerable while she is in heat, and has not one problem letting Jag mate with her. Now that time is gone, and the two are fighting like CATS!!! What should I do? Spay/neuter is not a solution to this problem at all. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX bless you.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Keep in mind that cats will go in and out of heat until they are bred.  So, within a matter of weeks, she can go right back into heat if she did not breed with the last heat.

The best way to keep them apart is to give each their own space.   You can use stacking baby gates in doorways (so they can't jump over) or give each their own room.  The baby gates work because they can smell one another and don't lose their familiarity.

You can also try a homeopathic remedy that we have used with great success.  It eases anxiety.  It's called homeopet and you can find it at www.homeopet.com.

I hope this helps more!