Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

kitten: my 10 month..10 month old..declawed..etc.) triming front claws

Should I get my 10 month old kitten declawed? We have tried everything (skatching posts, etc.) triming front claws. He has been very timid and is so difficult to trim. He is still trying to sharpen his claws on our furniture, etc. I have had my other cats declawed and other than a week of pain, they don't seem to have problems other than they can't climb the furniture as well.    Is the Lazer method better than traditional surgery?

Yes.  If your vet does not use the laser method, you should find one that does because it is much less painful for the cat and recovery time is much shorter.

This is really a personal choice and no one can tell you if you should or not.  If the cat is causing havoc in the home because he still has claws, it's a perfectly acceptable practice.

Just keep in mind that cats with no front claws should never be let outside.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: We only have 1 Vet in our town that does Lazer surgery. The price is $141.85. (released same day)
They insist on giving a Rabies vacination that I don't think is necessary as my cat is strictly indoors. It also includes a 24 hr. pain shot.
Is the Rabies vac. essential and is this the usual price for Lazer surgery? Thanks.Customer
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I will use the laser method. This facility insists on giving my kitten a Rabies Vacination. I would rather not as he is strictly an indoor cat. Is there a good reason for this and is the price of $141.85 for laser surgery, 24 hr. pain injection plus rabies vac. reasonable? (no overnight stay).
Thanks,Customer

This is a good price for the surgery.  Even indoor cats need to be vaccinated for rabies on a regular basis.  You never know if a rabid animal will get in your home and you want to be protected just in case.