Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

What is feline rhinotracheitis?

What is feline rhinotracheitis?

Feline rhinotracheitis virus (feline herpesvirus type 1 or FHV-1) causes acute respiratory illness known as rhinotracheitis (or feline herpesvirus infection). The virus affects domestic and wild cats worldwide.

Rhinotracheitis is characterized by respiratory symptoms such as sneezing, nasal discharge, rhinitis (inflammation of the nose), and conjunctivitis (inflammation of the membrane lining the eyelid). It also affects the reproductive tract and can cause complications during pregnancy.

Rhinotracheitis is part of the feline upper respiratory infection complex, which is a group of viral and bacterial infections (e.g., calicivirus, chlamydiosis) that cause sneezing and discharge from the eyes and nose. Cats often have two or more of these upper respiratory infections at the same time, and FHV-1 is one of the most common.

Incidence
FHV-1 occurs worldwide. Cats of all ages and breeds are susceptible, although it is more common in the following:

• Kittens, especially those born to infected mothers
  • Multicat households, catteries, and pet adoption shelters, especially those with:

• Overcrowding
    • Physical (e.g., temperature) or psychological (e.g., introduction of a new cat) stressors
    • Poor nutrition
    • Poor sanitation
    • Poor ventilation

• Pregnant cats that are lactating
  • Sick cats (especially sickness associated with a weakened immune system or other respiratory infection)
  • Unvaccinated cats
Transmission
FHV-1 is shed through the discharge from an infected cat's eyes, nose, and mouth. Contact with these secretions is a potential mode of transmission. The most common mode of transmission appears to be contact with contaminated objects that an infected cat has touched or sneezed on including cages, food and water bowls, litter trays, pet owner's clothing, and the pet owner's hands.

FHV-1 can be transmitted by direct contact with an infected cat's mouth, nose, or eye discharge. Several days of close contact are necessary for infection to occur.

Sneezing and coughing can spread the virus as far as 4 feet.

Many cats that are infected with FHV-1 never completely get rid of the virus. These cats are known as latent carriers. Even though they may not show symptoms, they harbor the virus in their nerve cells. Latent carriers spread the infection and are a major source of new infections.

source

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I still would like to know how to treat my kitten with this px, when I only have thirteen dollars to do so? A vet costs 23-32 bucks. Just for the visit.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I did.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: ah, I have had three replies, yet when I click on them it only shows me the initial reply from Tammy.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Can I get this from my kitten? I hate to have to ask.
Hi -
This information may answer you question :
Cat 'flu is caused by either feline calicivirus (FCV) or feline herpesvirus (FHV - also known as feline viral rhinotracheitis virus - FVR), or, uncommonly, a combination of both. The most serious cases are caused by FHV.

Cats cannot catch 'flu from humans with 'flu nor can humans catch cat 'flu.

This information was taken from The University of Glasgow - Comapnion Animal Diagnotics website.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to L Embry's Post: Thanks SO much! Although, my answered the question that I had asked out of worry that I don't have the proper funds to nip this px in the bud! I can imagine that Maceo, my kitten's name, will not be brought to the vet until I can afford it, nexdt month, and THIS still worries me. Nonetheless, I suppose theres' not much you or I can do about it for now, as much as it saddens me, i can only utilize what resources I have available: I have fed the juices left over from boiling vegetables, hoping to feed her sufficient vitamins. I have used my ( human) friend's eye drops, that is basically made from neosporin. I don't know what else to do!!! Thanks though. That was nice of you to give FREE advice!!!!!!!!!! I had always believed NOTHING was free in this world! Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't get used to it!