Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: haired, neutered male, mainly indoor, shots..extreme itching

Customer Question

My obese, partially long-haired, neutered male, mainly indoor, shots up-to-date cat, has these lesions/raised areas on his skin under his chin that are spreading. They take on the shape of a earthworm and he has extreme itching. I thought it was a cat scratch from a short trip outside, but I cannot find any broken skin that he hasn't inflicted on himself from scratching the itch. I have an appt with his vet, but b/c of my work schedule and the vet's hours, cannot get him seen for 3 more weeks. PLEASE tell me what I can give him for the iterium. I have tried Athletle's foot fungus cream, cortisone cream, and neosporin. Nothing works well. He is 4 years old and weighs 31 pounds. His last check up revealed no problems other than obesity. ( in my defense, he was fat when he was born ).
Fat Albert thanks you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

The chin is a common place for feline acne but I can't be sure that it's what you're seeing.  If you suspect this, you can use an over the counter acne medication on a small area and see if it helps.  You will also want to change from metal bowls to plastic bowls. If you are already using plastic, be sure to wash them well in the dishwasher to remove all the bacteria.

Your vet might want to give steroids to help with the itch and give the place time to heal.

If you can get in sooner, it would be a good idea.  Most vets have weekend hours now.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Acne medicine will help the itching? I don't use metal bowls, but I understand the significance of that suggestion. My appt in 3 weeks is on the week-end, and I have requested to be place on their cancellation list. Although I understand that you have no way of knowing exactly what this condition is, would that be your best guess based upon the description I supplied earlier? I had read some information about feline acne, which usually begins with black spots that look a lot like flea "dust", which was not part of my description of my cat's problem. One Doctor said, "Don't swap medicines. Drugs made for people are unlikely to be helpful when given to pets, says Dr. Rosenkrantz. "Using any acne products formulated for people would probably just worsen the problem," he warns." http://www.bobmckee.com/Client%20Info/Skin/acne.html
I thank-you for the effort of your reply, but I think the answer was not quite as informative or educated as I had hoped.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Sorry that my answer was not helpful.  I can only tell you things that I have experienced.  I have used acne cream with cats, and in my experience, it has worked.  It might not be the same for you.

BUT, I re-read your description and it does not sound like an acne problem.   I would still follow the suggestions about the bowls.

My only other suggestion might be that it's an infection or inflammation of the salivary gland.

Does this help more?

Or do you still have questions?