JoAnne
JoAnne, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  I did volunteer work at the Cincinnati Zoo, I Also do rescue
143236

kitten: bottle raised from 12 hours..2 wks old...own w/o enema

Customer Question

Orphaned kitten, bottle raised from 12 hours. 2 wks old. can't deficate on own w/o enema. O/w growth normal. Is this a neurological problem or could something else be at fault. Have changed formula to include more fat no results yet. Any other suggestions. Have had much experience with bottle raising and have encountered this problem before with others. Resulting in death.
Category: Cat
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
what I suggest is take a wet paper towel and gently wipe making sure the wetness touches the kitten on its genitals use warm water works every time for me hopefully for you too! Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joann Canafax's Post: Stimulating is done after every feeding. The kitten will urinate but not have a bowel movement. I am way past your answer, I've raised over 100 litters thus far as a volunteer. This is a serious problem which is not my error. I am more looking for something (a little trick) that vets don't know about with someone who has done the fostering route also and come up with something after the vet gave up hope. A word from the wise! My vet is excellent we have talked about this , he thinks it may be neurological in nature. Once I had a litter with the same problem. After the kittens died we did necropsies on them, to find that they were deformed, their colons were twisted. This little guy has normal looking BMs except that they only happen with an enema. Could it be muscular? If so, what can be done? I lost the others in his litter to this. I don't want to lose him!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
The question was not answered to my satisfaction.
cwh
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
have you tried mineral oil? 3 drops per ounce of body weight Im still studying for the possible answer to your question. I have also hand raised kittens who were orphaned and have never had any problems with stimulating them to go to the bathroom but If the answer is there I will find it!
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
were the kittens premature because maybe thier organs werent fully developed yet thus the enema?
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
You can also use a massage technique to try and get his bowels moving. After a feed, lay him on his back and gently massage his abdomen in small circles with your thumbs. Massage his tummy and sides, right up near his spine. What you're doing is mimicking the peristaltic (wave-like) motion that the stomach and bowels use to move the food along. You need to do this for as long as he'll let you. Make sure you massage close to his anus with your thumbs so it begins to connect with the messages from the bowels. Finally, take his little back legs and alternately straighten and bend each one in a cycling motion.

If the kitten still doesn't have a bowel motion, he needs to see a vet. The vet can give the kitten an enema, which is often a successful way of relieving the blockage. Some kittens will need several enemas until their bowels start working properly
http://www.kitten-rescue.com/premature_kittens.html