NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

my cat just lost a back claw is this an emergency

Customer Question

SHE lost her back claw and has been runnung around the house like she is in pain.
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Broken claws are quite painful - as a comparison think of breaking your nail below the quick.
She may need to have the claw properly trimmed or need some antibiotics to ensure no infection occurs. A cracked claw is more painful than one completely cut off is.
You just have to decide if you feel she can wait to see your regular vet or if you should get it taken care of immediately.
Its not a life threatening injury but it is painful and apt to remain so until its taken care of.
If you can get a look at it without sustaining injury yourself and see that there is a dangling or split spot in the nail then trimming it back to remove the dangling part or the split will cause momentary pain but should relieve it a great deal once the snipping of the nail is over.
If a toe bone is also broken more care would be needed.
Hope this helps!
Experience: 30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: the whole claw came off. it was split but completely de-attatched. how do i know when to take her to the vet?
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Poor kitty! I'd take her in tomorrow as such a break might lead to an infection and you may need to use some antibiotics to make sure that doesn't happen. Remember that foot is used in the litter box so infection is a real possibility.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thank you