Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

KITTEN COLLASPSE, PARALYZED AND IN PAIN

Customer Question

ONE OF MY CATS KITTYS JUST A BIT OVER A MONTH WAS FEEDING FROM THE MOTHER CAT. AS I APPROACHED THE BOX WHERE THEY WERE, THE KITTEN COLLASPED AND WAS PARALYZED AND LIMB I FREAKED AND STARTED MASSAGING HER AND ABOUT THREE TIMES HAD TO GIVE HER MOUTH TO MOUTH AND NOW SHE'S BREATHING IN HER OWN. SHE MOVES HER LEGS AND FRONT PAWN BUT SHE STILL CAN'T GET UP AND SHE IS NOW GROANING IN PAIN EVERY SHE TAKES A DEEP BREATH.HER PAWS ARE COLD. PLEASE HELP, I'M ALONE, HANDICAPPED AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO FOR HER.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It sounds like she might be hypoglycemic. This means that her blood sugar might have dropped to a dangerously low level.   I suggest that you put some karo syrup or sugar on the tongue.  This should perk her up.  Then stay with her and make sure she nurses every 2 hours during the night.  If this does not help, you need to see your vet in the morning.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: my baby kitty died this morning about 4 am. Her groaning was from pain, she had a very painful death. If it were her blood sugar she would of gone into a coma wouldn't she instead of the agonizing death she had. I'm sorry but I'm still very upset about this. this service said that you guys would answer asap and this was not the case.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I answered your question within 30 minutes of you posting it so am not sure how much quicker we could have been.

I am very sorry for your loss.  I know that last night must have been a long night for you. 

To answer your question, hypoglycemic animals will seize, come out of it and then can seize again.  This can look painful and they might make noise but no one knows for sure. 

Again, please accept my condolences for your loss.  I am very sorry for the pain that you suffered during the night when you were not sure what to do.

My thoughts are with you.

Tammy

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Tammy, i have another kitten sibling to the one that past away this morning and she's feeding very little not like the other siblings, diahrea and squinting eyes. doesn't play just rests a lot. she cries and i've resently separated her from her siblings but i let her mom feed her first since she's eating very little cat food not as before. i've been feeding them moist can food mixed with non-fat milk now with water because the mom refused to feed them cause they were biting and scrating her belly and nipple something fierce. Is this kitten going through the same as the first kitten?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

She might be.  Any time that kittens are not allowed to nurse at will, they can become hypoglycemic.

I also worry that you are dealing with a respiratory illness or other infection because of the squinting eyes.

I think that you may need to see the vet to rule out a bigger problem before you lose all the kittens.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i've placed the mother with all the kittens in a large carrier together with the sick kitty. is this ok? i'm a little scare that they'll hurt her since she's sick.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

If mom will tolerate being confined, it's fine.  If she is upset by it, you will need to rethink it.  Keep a close eye on the sick kitten.  Mom will often push a sick kitten to the side because she knows that something is wrong.

You need to see the vet with all the cats tomorrow.

Also, have you seen any fleas?  Newborn kittens can die from flea infestations.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
no fleas, the cats are indoor cats, but you may have hit the button, the kittens were alright until i separated the mom from the kittens because of what they were doing to her. I pray that you're right. cause my daughter is in wyomi and she doesn't get back until sunday.

i've just place the mom with all the kitties in the bathroom and they're all so happy, jumping and even the sick kitty is feeding and the mom isn't trying to get out. hope this works. thanks so much for your help.

sincerely
anabel
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I am glad that my answers were helpful to you.  If they were, please don't forget to accept one of my answers so that your deposit can be transferred to my account.

I certainly would appreciate it.

Tammy

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert