Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

kitties: one-year-old..three-year-old-male named toby..year-old female

Customer Question

About two months ago we brought home two one-year-old kitties, a brother and a sister named Smudge and Sammi. We already have two cats, a three-year-old-male named Toby and a five-year-old female named Peaches. Everyone is "fixed." We kept the "new kids" separate from the others when we first brought them home but after less then a week everyone was eager to meet each other and they pretty much hit it off from the beginning. They are all getting along amazingly well. They are now cleaning each other, playing with each other, sleeping near each other and eating together. Within the past two weeks though our three-year-old boy, Toby, has been mounting all of the other cats. He'll get on their back, grab a mouth full of their fur from the back of their neck and move his legs back and forth on either side of them. The cat he's mounting doesn't seem to mind and almost seems as if they don't understand what he's doing (although I did catch the "new male kid" mounting his sister one time after one of these encounters with Toby). I at first was scolding him for doing this and would try and get him off of their back (not easy to do. He doesn't want to let go). I find it mainly happening between the two male cats. Unfortunatly, the "new kid," Smudge, has a lot more muscle on him then Toby, and is able to take down Toby easier. Still, Toby is a very determined cat. Is this just them trying to establish some sort of pecking order and I should stay out of it? Will I upset Toby if I scold him and them find him peeing behind my couch one day? If I don't intervene will Toby's actions just make all of the others nervous? Thankfully, they are all very sweet and loving cats and they don't hiss or attack each other. Sometimes play can get a little heated, but they don't try to hurt each other. But how should I be handling this situation to make sure everyone is as happy as possible?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

This more of a dominance issue than a sexual issue.  Even two females will do it.  They are trying to show one another who is the superior cat in the house.

There is nothing sexual about it and they are not trying to mate.  The humping is saying - hey, take that!  I'm the boss! - It's perfectly normal.

This will ease with time and as the hormones settle.

Rather than scold, I think that you should try to distract the humper.  Use a favorite toy or a feather wand.  I don't think that Toby's actions are going to upset the others that much.  If he bothers them too much, they will let him know.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thanks for the information. This is pretty much what our vet had said as well, but we still wanted one more opinion. Thanks for helping us to keep the peace in our home.