DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

cat: her de-wormed and her teeth cleaned...treated..antibiotics twice

Customer Question

My cat smells really bad. I have had her de-wormed and her teeth cleaned. I have also treated her for gingervitis with antibiotics twice. This has been going on since December now, and nothing is really helping? Have you ever encountered a similar problem with a cat. We keep her indoors and she is 5 years old. Any advise? Her fur and breath smell. I had her teeth cleaned last month!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Mi Linda Luz replied 11 years ago.
What are you feeding her? What changed around December in your household? She could be eating her own feces, which animals to when their diet is missing something they need. She also could be rolling around in her cat box instead of giving herself a bath(this is called laziness):) Please answer these questions, you'd be suprised why cats act the way they do. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX Luz
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Mi Linda Luz's Post: I feed her Purina Cat Chow and half a can of Fancy Feast wet food everyday. It almost smells like she rolled around in the dry cat food bag, like it could be coming out of her pores or something. It is so strange. She never gets table scraps, either. The vet initially said that it was due to worms, so I got her the series of shots that she needed. Then, the vet said it was her teeth, so I had those cleaned. Now, I am getting really concerned because I'm not sure if even the vet knows what is wrong. I am going to take her back today due to the bad odor. The vet keeps giving me antibiotics for gingivitis, but it isn't solving the problem. She is not rolling around in the litter box that I have seen and she has been eating the same cat food for over a year.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 Has your cat had any bloodwork or urinalysis performed?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: She had blood work done in December and my vet said that it was good. The vet discovered that my cat had worms and a gum infection, which both have been treated. Initially, my vet said that the odor was coming from her anal glands b/c she had worms. Then, the vet recommended a teeth cleaning b/c of her mouth odor and gum infection. I have given her antibiotics twice for the gingivitis. I am going back to the vet today b/c the odor has gotten really bad again. I am just getting concerned that the smell could be a sign of something else going on. It is almost as though it is coming out of her pores. The smell is all in her fur. When I pet her, the smell gets on my hands. I will ask my vet about a urinalysis. I am worried that even my vet doesn't know what the problem is. If you have anymore advise it is greatly appreciated.      Jessica
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Has her fur changed with the smell? Like she is more greasy?

When she is on antibiotics for her mouth is the smell less?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: You know what, her fur does have a different texture, like a film. It is more greasy than silky. And there was a little difference with her odor after the antibiotic, but a few weeks later, we begin the whole cycle again, the smell begins getting stronger every week.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Okay,

Well there are a few things I think about. First, the most overlooked cause of a "stinky" cat is pododermatitis. Infections between the toes...and people rarely look between their toes... It would get mildly better with antibiotics...but not cured.

Second, as Nancy has stated, using a better food choice. Every cat is different...but I agree that some of the lesser foods may cause problems. I tend not to think odor as much as gastric issues...but anything is possible.

Last...cats that have pancreatic or intestinal absorption problems have a hard time breaking down foods and absorbing correctly, therefore there is more "byproduct" whcih can result in an unhealthy hair coat and smell. These problems do not ALWAYS result in  fecal changes..so I would ask your vet about the possibilities.

Hope this helps!!

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
All right. So, I went to the vet today and my cat is going to do some fecal tests. I think you might be right about the whole cat food absorbion thing, b/c she smells strongly of the cat food she has been eating. So, she will strictly be on a dry cat food diet which does not contain any fish products and hopefully I will see results in a few weeksand everything will work out. I wish I would of discovered this website a few months ago. All of this advice might have saved me some time and money. Thanx again. - Jessica
Expert:  JoAnne replied 11 years ago.
Wow I think all cats have stinky breath have you ever smelled the canned cat food yuk! I hope its not a medical problem is your kitty a long hair or short hair?