Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Progress Report on cat that was suddenly blinded and deafened

Customer Question

I am writing about my cat Jamaica who was blinded and partially deafened a little over a month ago after teeth cleaning and ear cleaning under anathesia. Dr. V was very helpful and asked me to keep her informed. The full range of tests at the animal hospital showed nothing. The neurologist finally said he thought it was hypoxia which is lack of oxygen during the anesthesia procedure. Dr. V had mentioned this also.

The good news is that Jamaica has recovered some of her sight to the point that she can now jump up on the bed amd the window sill. I don't believe her hearing has improved yet. The neurologist told me that there was a 60% chance of sight recovery and whatever she had recovered after 8 months would be all she would get back. He also said he thought she would get her hearing back. She is finding her way around nicely and certainly knows where her food and the litter box is. She is not as vocal as she was before, particularly when she wants some food. But I can live with that.

The bad news is that she got stuck behind the radiator one night, shortly after being released from the hospital. She was sleeping downstairs so I didn't hear her. So we are now dealing with the burns. She is wearing a bonnet, but is adjusting to that also. I take it off for her to eat and groom herself.

I think once she recovers from the burns, she will settle into a nice quality of life and I am glad I kept her around. A couple of my friends had recommended that I put her down, but I wanted to give her a chance to recover. I also had to satisfy myself that I was not keeping her alive just for myself and had determined that if she didn't have a good quality of life, I would let her go. She has recovered enough that she jumps on the other cats and is playing somewhat again.

Hopefully, this will give some info to some other animal lover, whose animal might happen to go through the same thing.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Thank you so much for letting us know how she is doing. I do often think of the people I talk with, and how their animals are doing.

I agree you made the correct decision on "keeping her around" since neither of her ailments were painful. She will adapt well, and hopefully life a long life. Please check around the house for other areas of potential harm since she is limited to vision...but I hope that things improve day by day.

Good luck and thanks so much for writing!!

Dr.Vamvakias