NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

Cat bite

Customer Question

Question: On March 1, 2005 I wrote about my friendly cat no longer being friendly, well sinse then things had appeared to settle down and she was doing fine until this past Monday when I had company that brought a newborn baby, the baby became fussy and grandma was holding her while mom was fixing her bottle, when mom went to put the bib on the baby my cat attacked and bit her with no warning and would have attacked again but I was able to get in between them and chased the cat to the bedroom. After awhile we got the cat from the bedroom and was able to hold her and put her in the carrier. she had her shots the first part of March thankfully. She is at the vet quarintined for now there wasn't a place to keep her at home. Am I right in thinking that where she has now bitten she may very well do it again? Or could have it been that she thought Mom was hurting the baby where she was crying and that may just be an isolated incident?   Thank you! MJ
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Cats do have strong prey drive and babies do make noises and motions consistent with prey.
The cat may well have been 'stalking' the baby itself watching it closely and then bitten the mother due to the interference of the human with the new 'prey' or 'toy' item in the home.
I don't think the cat was worried about the baby as if it were a kitten, more as if it were a mouse!
So if that is the case yes it could happen again.
Best bet would be to move the cat into a quiet room equipped with all its needs when company is coming over.
Some people who have cats showing aggression to them or others in the home find that adding a second friendly cat to interact with the aggressive one helps a lot. The two cats then can play in cat fashion which includes some real rough play and that works out the aggression in the cat with the problem. Key is getting a friendly gentle cat of the opposite sex to be the one added to the home.
Hope this helps you! Sure sounds like a scary situation and that you did a good job of keeping more damage from happening.
Experience: 30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy's reply was quite interesting, I am also open to more replies. The more I know the more it will help me make a final decision as to put this cat down or try her again in the house. My other concern is if she were to at some point attack me I am diabetic and prone to bad infections. Thanks, MJ
Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I'm very sorry for the situation you and the mother/family experienced.

I am an animal activist and I am hoping and praying that you will not put "your" cat down just because of this incident. Animals should not be killed for reasons such as this or for any reason(s) for that matter -

I understand an animal attacking a child or anyone should not be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly....but, I am reading your post as being that your cat attacked the baby's mother - if this is not so, please inform me......otherwise, my take on this is that your cat was being protective of the baby and instead she was scolded - I'm sure her feelings are quite hurt.

I also understand your concern about this incident and of your own physical condition - and I would suggest in this case for all concerned that you find another home for your cat - a place where she can be loved and comforted by one who is a natural cat person - not saying that you do not love her - but, due to these circumstances....your cat already senses change and the difference in human interaction with her - it's not fair to her should she be forced to be confined, or being scolded ..or if it came down to it having her come to an early demise......You started out by saying "your" cat...but ended up saying "this cat".....please find a good home for your cat - every animal is worth saving. Animals are innocent like babies....they just need someone to teach them - and they need love and care.

My very best to you and your family.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to The Mystic Wave's Post: I didn't put my cat down, I found a nice home for her with an older lady. The Vet and I decided that would be best for her to be an only cat in a quiet home.