DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

feline skin eruption

Customer Question

My 10 yr old cat has a growth, just above his eye. It has taken about 2 yrs to become the size of an eraser on a pencil. It looks like a bubblethe size of a pea. What is it? My vet has seen it twice. The first time she did not even see it. The second time he was having his teeth cleaned and I wanted it removed then. She said it was not necessary. It bothers my cat's eye. He is declawed in the front. What should I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

It should have been removed at the teeth cleaning like you asked.

Now you need to schedule another appt. if this vet doesn't want it removed, maybe you should seek a second opinion. If it has grown over 2 yrs...it needs to come of and tested to see if it is cancerous.

Dr.Vamvakias

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: It appears to be filled with fluid (possibly). Can you tell me what kind of growth it may be?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Is it a dangerous thing? I know growths can actually be life threatening if removed. I do not want to put my cat in any kind of danger.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Going to the vet is expensive. I do not want to get an inexperienced vet making a lethal mistake.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
by inexperienced I mean; not totally familiar with this type of growth.
Sorry about all the add on's tot this question, but my cat is like a son to me!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

If it is fluid filled, it may be just a cyst, meaning it is not a cancer type growth...but cysts need be surgically removed if they are getting too large and/or bothering the animal. A growth around the eye can be irritating to the animal.

Anesthesia always carrys a certain risk. If your cat did okay with the dental...he should be okay for this as well. Since it is on his eye margins, the surgery itself is not a life threatening type surgery...usually these removals are very quick.

The best thing to do is ask your vet if he/she is comfortable doing the procedure.

Even benign growths can cause problems if left long term...but if the cat is bothered by it now, have it removed before it gets larger.

Dr.V