DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

Feline scratching

Customer Question

My cat is scratching leaving scabs and taking out the fur. She also eats very little as of late. Do you know what this could be? This is around the face and neck.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It could be fleas, allergies or it could even be a bigger problem.

Because she is not eating well, you need to see the vet on Monday.  She might have a treatable condition today that won't be if you leave it much longer.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for responding so quickly, but I'm sorry to say that I was not satisfied with the answer that I did recieve. When I did take my cat to the vet yesteday, he told me that it wasn't fleas, allergies or a bigger problem. In fact, it turns out that this is an autoimmune disease that all cats get throughout their lives.
Thank you again for trying to answer the question and to give the best advice.   

Sincerely,
                                 Customer
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

<<In fact, it turns out that this is an autoimmune disease that all cats get throughout their lives. >>

This is not true...and question where this information came from. "Autoimmune diseases" are not common and do constitute a "bigger problem" as Tammy suggested.  The lesions you described can be from everything she stated as well as an immune mediated issue...but for that to be diagnosed a biopsy of the skin needs to be done...which I assume wasn't done.

I feel like you received a good answer from Tammy...and your vet failed to explain the issue with you very well.

Dr.Vamvakias