DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

cat muscle spasams

Customer Question

My 18 month old female cat has had muscle spasams since she was a kitten. Her tail twiches and she may lift up one of her back legs. I rub her back and she is okay, no other signs of anything wrong.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 Have you talked with your vet about it?

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I need to go to vets for her one year check-up and shots but I am unemployed at this moment. She is a med to small size cat. She has been to the vets since she was 3 weeks old when I found the litter by a stray. She eats well, not over eating and is very active and loving. She 18 months now. When she is playing with me and running for me to catch her is pretty much when is happens in her tail. Thank you very much for you help, I wish more people were like you.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

If the cat is not painful...if the tail is twitching..this may be normal for a cat.  If the cat is crying or painful...then a diagnosis needs to be reached...but cats do tend to have muscle type twitching down their back, hind quarters and tail...and it is normal.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I thank you for your time. Just to be clear she is not in pain. This muscle twiches just occur in cats? No over all sign of something serious, I truly hope not, I am so attached to her, she is always by my side and sleeps on my pillow next to me every night. Is there anything else to look fo? thans again Melissa
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

I will be honest...your vet would need to see an example or video of what your cat is doing to tell you if this is the normal twitches cats do.  My instinct is if the cat is not manifesting any other problems OR painful...I think she is probably normal.

I hope you can see a vet for her shots sometime soon. Good luck, and any changes with her walking, dizziness or mood changes...you need to go to a vet.

Dr.V