NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

How do I get my neutered male cat to stop spraying in the house

Customer Question

When I first adopted him last summer, he never used the litterbox and would spray all over the house. I thought it was because I wasn't letting him outside as he was formerly an outdoor cat. So I started letting him outside and it stopped, only to start up again the other day. I'm clueless as to what to do, as people usually suggest getting him neutered, but he is already neutered.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

This is usually a behavioral issue and is hard to manage. Cleaning the areas he sprays with a product made for cat marking is needed.

Next a trip to the vet...we usually put them on a medication that curbs the desire to mark. It is not meant to be long term, but a few months to break the habit. There are different options of medication out there.

Hopefully you will be able to control it before he becomes an outside cat only.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: I've tried numerous cleaning products made for cat marking and NOTHING has worked. Have you had any experience, or know someone who has had experience, with a product that actually works? All I can think of using on the spots is bleach. It's awful. The odor just gets worse everyday, even though he is now confined to the bathroom and is no longer spraying throughout the house.

I also have 2 other cats, both female, one of which is not yet spayed. Could that be adding to the problem? It wasn't a problem in the winter, though, just now that spring has begun.

At this point in time I cannot afford a trip to the vet (but will be getting reduced cost spaying done soon), so thanks so much for your help!
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Try Odor Mute it comes dry and you mix it to strength - has worked for me to clean up even tom cat odor an skunk
www.upco.com is where I bought it last time