NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

cat vomiting

Customer Question

my cat has been vomiting over the past 2 weeks she is 6 long hair indoor ragdoll type. I took her for an exam tonight, the vet wanted to get blood work done of course for 150$ I scheduled appt for tommrow when i got her home an hour later she thre up again. at first it was hairballs now just throwing up a bit. the vet gave me soem stuff to put on her paws however i have had her for 6 years and never a problem. she is fine otherwise. any ideas? Is vomiting usually a definate sign that my cat is probably seriously ill? Is there a cure for some of the related illness, or is the outcome going to be very expensive and hopeless? I do not have alot of money but don't want her to die either
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Well if the vet gave you some hairball remedy I think I would ask the vet if it would be OK to wait on the bloodwork until you see if that works to resolve the problem. If a week delay say is OK with your vet then you can give the stuff time to see if it works.
You might also look at the food you are using especially if you swapped it recently. Some cats do really poorly on some foods and changing to a better food can help them a lot.
If your cat showed other signs of illness (fever for example) or your vet thinks the blood work needs to be done right away I'd say follow that advice - the vet has seen your animal in person and that counts for a lot in figuring out problems. There are serious issues too that could be the cause of this and your vet is in a better position to make a good diagnosis after the bloodwork is done.
I always ask a vet about the prognosis when discussing treatment or tests - they don't always volunteer that info up front but will if you ask them. You can even call the vet office and ask them what the bloodwork is for and what it might show to help your cat. Usually they are really good about offering a better explanation of what is going on if a client asks for it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: My cat eats the best food on the market today so its not the food. When cats throw up I have heard its not a good sign at all. What are the chances she has a serious diease, ie; hyperthyroidism,kidney faliure etc? Is there any alternative medicine for cats that would not be as expensive if it comes down to this? She does not have any other symptoms except the vomiting which just started a few weeks ago. Is there someone on your staff perhaps who has knowledge of cats in particuliar?? I know the blood test is the first step, I am just fearful of the worst what other things could cause these symptoms that are treatable? or is all vomiting related to a serious illness??

Thanks again
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Its true there are many things it could be and some of them are bad which is always scary. But if the vet gave you hairball remedy for the cat to lick off its paws then I don't think its unreasonable to double check about the speed needed on the bloodwork and then ask if the vet thinks its ok to wait a week to see if the hairball remedy solves the problem.
If your vet says the bloodwork needs to be done ASAP then of course you follow that advice!
Just to be clear I'm not a vet just a long time animal owner who has coped with a lot of animal issues and am here to share what I've learned. If you want only a vet answer I'll be happy to step out and let one of the excellent vets here take over :)