Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience:  Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
15822

cat: urinary tract infection..begain having some sort of seizures

Customer Question

my cat had urinary tract infection was givenclavamox twice a day for 10 days.Was off med. for 5 days symptoms begain again. Begain same med. again a few days latter cat begain having some sort of seizures. What is wrong?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 11 years ago.

Please check out the following website that explains about seizures:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/seizures.html

What were your cat's symptoms and did the clavamox seem to help him/her? There is always the possibility that your cat is allergic to the clavamox. I have a cat that goes totally bonkers when he has taken clavamox, and he runs around like a nut, and vomits all over the place. Medications can affect cats in many strange ways.

I would definitely get a hold of your vet and explain what happened and if the cat is very ill, I would take  the cat to your local emergency animal hospital if you see him/her in any kind of distress or pain. Cats will hide pain quite often, so if he/she is not eating or drinking or using the litter box, I would not hesitate in seeking help for the cat.

A male especially can have urinary infections that can cause the cat to BLOCK and not be able to urinate and this is life threatening. If not treated right away, they can die.

Please get help ASAP if the cat is not urinating. Crystals or stones can cause a blockage, and this is VERY painful for the animal.

God bless and good luck! Let us know if you have further questions.

Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience: Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: he slobbered at the mouth, was also shaking couldn't walk it was like his muscles were contracting with claws out and he would cry like it hurt.

This does sound like a seizure that he was having, and I would call first thing Monday morning and have your vet look at him again as soon as possible, and if they do blood work and rule out infections, or other diseases, perhaps your cat could have epilepsy, for which the vet could give medication to you for him, in the future if this happens again.

I hope you were able to visit the website that I gave to you, as it has very good information about seizures, if that is what your cat did have.

God bless, and I hope you can get some definite answers from your vet on why he had this seizure, and what the cause could be.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: I took my cat to the vet again.The vet said his liver inzymes were elevated. Sounded like he may of been poisened. Could the clavimox and advantage flea med. be the cause of this? When he came back from the vets the first time he came home with fleas. So I put the advantage
on him.

What did your vet have to say about your cat having seizures? Did he give you any idea what is causing this?

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hepatic_lipidosis.html 

The above link tells about liver enzymes being elevated. Also, another time that liver enzymes can be elevated is with disease states, such as FIV, which is feline immunodeficiency virus, and I wondered, if you have had your cat tested for that? I had a cat I lost three years ago, that used to show liver enzymes elevated, when he was going through side effects of the disease FIV.

Do you keep you cat indoors only? I definitely would if you don't, as you do not want him to get into anything poisonous outside, like radiator fluid leaking from a car engine, or any other kinds of possible poisons.

What did the vet recommend to you to do for your cat at this point?

God bless and I hope you can get a more concrete answer from your vet about the liver enzymes being elevated, and why he thinks they are.