DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

mommy cat gave birth early this morning.

I have a barn cat that had her first batch of kittens this morning..3 kittens.. she has a bloody mess hanging out of her behind.. is this normal and will she take care of it or do I need to have vet come out to the country tomorrow and see her.. this mess is about as big as a mans thumb..

Depends. If it is just bloody debris like a sack or placental tissue, she should take care of it...if it looks like her tissue, meaning a prolapse of the uterus or vagina out...that is an emergency.

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you Dr. Vamvakias.. took the cat and kittens into Vet.. she did have a prolapsed uterus and Dr. reinserted it and fixed in with a stitch.. kitties are resting comfortably on a heating pad while mom is recovering .. will pick her up later in day.. thanks again SCARR

Great! Thanks for taking care of her and getting her in to a vet, I am sure she will make a good recovery. Remember that as soon as the kittens are weaning, she will go back into heat...I recommend you schedule her for a spay so that it doesn't happen again.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thanks for the reply.. we just picked her and the kittys up from Vet. Momma is doing wonderful, and yes we do plan on having her spayed as soon as babies are weaned.. she is a wonderful momma and for her first visit with vet she was a perfect lady.. she is eating already and was glad for her stall in the barn..(of course and nice bed in it too).. SCARR

Okay, sounds great! Good luck,

DR.V