Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My Main Coon cat keeps developing a rash on her stomach

Customer Question

I have a Main Coon 8 year old female cat.  She keeps developing a rash on her stomach and I have to use tritop as well as an oral antibiotic to clear it up.   Is there anyway that I can find out just what is causing this ?   My Vet suggested that it was a bacterial rash.   She is mostly an indoor cat, it seems to get worse in the summer.  I can't help but wonder if she has some type of allergy going on also.

?

Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

If it is only on her stomach...is it only on the area with thin hair on the lower part?

If so we need to consider a contact allergen.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post:

Thank you for your response.

It appears in that thin area, then when she is constantly at it, it appears to spread.  I looked closely and it seems to have a white nodual on the little bumps.  The topical cream and the antibiotic clears it up, however,  I don't want to have her on an oral antibiotic  all the time.   She could develope a resistance to the medicine or other medical problems from it.

Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

You might want to consider keeping a cream, or even antibacterial spray around (although she wont like the spray)...just on the belly can be contact from anything from cat litter fragrance to detergent on the bedding...

It may be easier to just stay with topical, I agree oral antibiotics should be reserved for more serious application.

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post:  Thank you.   I had considered that she may have an allergic reaction to litter fragrance or to the detergent or even carpet. I have stayed with the same litter since she was a kitten, and the same applies to detergent, however I imagine they can develope allergies at any time just as we do. again, thank you
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

No problem.  You could try benadry or cortisone cream and see if it helps...it will if it is allergy driven.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post:  I have her on Tritop, it has a bit of a numbing ingrediant to help keep her away from the area...  I am trying to avoid putting a collar on her.   In my heart, I think that is sort of cruel, especially if it is really bothering her.   If I can, I try to stay with her after I apply the cream. I keep my hand on her belly until it has taken affect.  She seems to like that, then she stays away from it.   Let me take this time to thank you once again for taking the time and effort to answer me.  Please be well and take care.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 As always, my pleasure.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: