Olivers Mom
Olivers Mom, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
56888

cats: hiding..hissing & trying to scratch & claw the other one..acting

Customer Question

I have 2 cats that are sister’s. Out of nowhere one of them is extreamly jealous of the other & for the past few days if the other one comes out of hiding or comes near us, the other one just goes crazy & attacks hissing & trying to scratch & claw the other one. Is there anything that can be done to get her to calm down again & stop acting so jealous? We pay attention to her & pet her & play w/ her but it doesn’t matter she doesn’t want the other cat near us.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 11 years ago.

Please answer the following so I can help...

1) How old are the two cats?

2) Male, Female?  Spayed?

3) Has there been ANY change in their daily routine, food, environment, your schedule, etc.?

4) Have both cats lived together and if so, for how long?

5) Are they both 'equally jealous' of each other?

6) Is there any other behavior or signs that do not seem to e normal for either one of them?  Eating, potty habits, other behaviors, etc?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oliver’s Mom's Post: The jealous one is about 6 & the other is 5. Both Spayed Females lving together since born (sisters)no real changes, my boy friend went out of town for a couple of days but that's it. Only the older one seems to be jealous of the younger one. The younger one has always been a bit jumpy & easily spooked so now she just hides out in one of the other rooms & is careful not to get near the other one. There doesn't seem to be any changes in their routine except this. They use to get along great & would nap w/ each other & clean each other. They've fought before but they'd get over it w/in an hr or so & be back to normal. This time it's been going on for several days

Thanks for the helpful information.

The first thing you will need to do is rule out a medical problem.  Many times, when there is a sudden behavior change OR problem behaviors increase, an underlying illness is a contributing factor.  You may not see any symptoms of illness because cats can hide these things very well - and some illness do not present themselves in ways we can easily see.

Before we can look at behavior modification or trainiing, the will need to be ruled out because if it is an illness, no matter what we try will not work.  Please schedule an appt for your older cat for a full examination including blood/urine tests.

I wish you well,

Olivers Mom, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert