TheMysticWave
TheMysticWave,
6999

Excessive dandruff on our black cat.

Customer Question

Our cat has a dandruff problem which I've been aware of for over a year. However, it has recently gotten worse and because she is black it is very apparent. Is it advisable to use a dandruff shampoo or conditioner for humans on her? If so, which one? We've never bathed her so don't know how she will react. How do you bathe a cat? Also, could excessive flaking be a sign of something more serious than just dry skin?
Category: Cat
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 How old is she and what is her weight?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: She is about 3 (got her from a shelter and don't know exact age)and i don't think she's more than 10-12 lbs. She's not fat but has a lot of fur!
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 11 years ago.
 well unfortunately average weight for a kitty is a couple pounds lighter than yours and many times that is the main cause or the dandruff. They won't groom themselves they way they should because that area is more difficult to reach when they are overweight. I would try getting her into your vet to get an accurate weight and to make sure its not something more serious. Then get her on a weight management diet and you should start to see a difference. In the mean time brushing more regularly will help.
Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

Sometimes dandruff occurs when an animal isn't getting enough fat in their diet. Fish oil supplements help to improve metabolism of fats in skin tissue and usually clears up dandruff.

Dandruff is also common in diabetic cats. Cat Dandruff and Diet.

Also, due to mites - see Getting fleas, ear mites and walking dandruff off your cat-WCVB-TV Pet Center.; PetPlace.com - Article: Cheyletiellosis (Walking Dandruff Mite)

Regardless, you need to watch out for scabs, sores, or if your cat appears lethargic, as this will require medical attention. However, it would be best to schedule an appointment with your vet for a proper diagnosis. I would hold off bathing until you consult with your vet.

I am hoping and praying all checks out well - thus, as far a bathing your cat, since she has never had such an experience...make sure the door is closed in the bathroom - as cats are a little feisty...and your cat might jump out of the tub and run around all wet and catch a cold - but, here's a "how to" that might help:

How to Give a Cat a Bath - eHow.com

My very best to you and your cat,

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Other Resources:

What can be done about cat dandruff and what are the causes?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Dear Mystic Wave, Thank you for your advice. I purchased Lipiderm today for healthy skin & Coat with Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids. I hope to see some results (less flaky skin) within about two weeks. Now the challenge is to get the cat to eat her food with the Lipiderm before the dog eats it! Best,Customer

GreetingsCustomer

You're very welcome - I do hope that the Lipiderm will help your cat (a little taste for your dog, perhaps)- I am concerned for your cat. I do suggest that you schedule an appt. with a vet soon, if at all possible - to rule out anything serious.

Please take care.

My very best to you and your cat.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave