TheMysticWave
TheMysticWave,
6999

cat: licks..flees, so I checked for the tell-tell signs; and nothing

Customer Question

My cat has a static electricity problem. He starts stwiching and licks his self in a area and then try to shake it off. I thought it was flees, so I checked for the tell-tell signs; and nothing when I touch him I get a shock from him and he starts the routine. I have bought sprays, tried fabric softner sheets, water nothing works.   Please help! Lady Tee
Category: Cat
Expert:  Olivers Mom replied 11 years ago.

I'm so sorry for the delay in our reply to your question!

Your environment may be so dry you may need to use a humidifier in your home, assuming you don't already have one.  Another option would be to boil a large pan of water on the stove top daily, or use a vaporizer (like we use for colds) and just fill with water to run throughout the day/night.  The other things you have tried are what I would have suggested also, but I think the reason you are having such difficulty is because you are 'fighting' the dry environment within your home, and losing the battle!

If you brush him, do not use a nylon brush - this will cause more static electricity in his coat.  having your cat in the bathroom while you shower, would cut down on the static also.

I wish I could remember - but I saw an anti-static brush for pets.  If I think of where that was I'll let you know!

Sorry I can't be of further assistance however I hope I have given you a few options to think about!

Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings Lady Tee:

Use long, gentle strokes to brush your cat from the nose to the tip of the tail. Use a bristle brush. Remove as much dead and loose fur as possible. Rub your cat's coat with a nylon stocking to remove static electricity.

Hope this helps.

My very best to you and your cat.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave