Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience:  Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
15822

cat

Customer Question

My cat is 6 yrs old and ever time I have brought her to the vet to be groomed, they need to give her something to quiet her down, about a week or two later she came down with stomach problems, When I brought her back they claim that the meds given to her for the grooming might have reacted on her, they kept her and gave here liquids and meds, which were baytril, and metoclopramide, and xrays and blood test, the problem is that she is having problems eating and drinking. she is not her self and sleeping alot. I call the vet again, and they said to bring her in again and they will treat her, but she gets so upset when she goes I really don’t want to do it again. How long can a cat go with out food or water. I have been taking a dropper of water, and she did eat a little fat from chicken, but that is all for now. I would like to know if keeping her home will help and is there anything I can give her or do for her at home. Thank you Mary
Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

If a cat goes longer than 3 days without food they can quickly go into liver failure...you may have to accept that the cat will need to be upset in order to save her life. I would take her back to the vet, because something is wrong.

Dr.V

Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I'm very sorry for your cat, my prayers and thoughts are with her and you.

Please take your cat to another vet, of my own personal opinion, I don't believe that the meds were necessary and certainly it would seem that your cat is not eating and drinking because she is traumatized/scared to go back to the vet's. I am not a veterinarian, I am an animal activist - thus exposed to animals and their behaviors and have healed many animals, naturally. It is important that your cat be treated as soon as possible, and I suggest that you seek a veterinarian that specializes in holistic/homeopathic treatment who can care for your cat in a natural way, and heal in body, mind and spirit. You can search for such a veterinarian by going to the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association's website. There are many in New York. 

AHVMA - Find Member Vets in your area - Holistic, Alternative, Complementary Veterinarians

My best to you and your cat.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I have brought my cat back to the vet. He said she has drank something and they gave her something that will make her want to eat. She has no fever and the doctors wants to keep her for another day. Thank you for you answers.
Mary

Greetings:

I'm very glad to know that your cat is being treated.

I want to express to you that I didn't mean to imply that meds should never be given - although, I believe it should only be given for an actual medical condition -  you, however, indicated that meds are given every time you take your cat for "grooming"...and this is what I commented on being that I am experienced in holistic/homeopathic healing, and in my 36 years of attending to animals as an activist, I have found that it's NOT NECESSARY to drug an animal for such purposes. Many people are not able to communicate with animals and animals sense this and will most assuredly react. Your cat is sensitive and I believe that your cat is scared, has been traumatized and this may very well be the reason why she is not eating or drinking.  However, as I indicated, I find it very important that your cat be treated by another veterinarian to help her  - I did not rule out professional treatment -

I hope this clears up any confusion.

I'm very happy to know that she is receiving care.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your cat. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
Hopefully with the appetite stimulant, your cat will start to eat. We don't always figure out why they stop eating...but it can be hard to "restart" them after a day or two. You did the correct thing by taking the cat back. After eating a few meals...she will probably be sent home.

Let me know how it goes!

Dr.Vamvakias

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Here is a up date on my cat (Paws), she was brought home today, and she is eating again, not much but she is eating and drinking more. Hopefully this is the end of this mess. Thank you for you help.
Mary
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

Great to hear, thanks for letting us know!

DR.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hi again,
I just wanted to know that Paws is eating okay but she is not up to her old self yet is it because of the problem she had.
Thanks Mary
Expert:  Elena Marie replied 11 years ago.

As long as she is eating okay, she should continue to improve. You might want to ask your vet to let you buy a few cans of Hill's Prescription A/D canned food to have on hand. It is very soft and can even be mixed with water and fed with a syringe, such as you were doing when you gave water to her.

Also, it might be good to have some baby food from your supermarket on hand to give to her as a supplement to get her appetite rolling, such as baby food turkey, lamb or chicken. Make sure there is no onion in it, though, as cats cannot have onion.

It is good that you caught this soon enough, such as Dr. Dana suggested, as the hepatic lipidosis, or liver failure is common in cats that go without eating for several days. Plus, when they get dehydrated you have that to deal with on top of it all.

God bless you and good luck!