DanaDVM
DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience:  Cat Expert
11348

scared cat

Customer Question

We have 3 cats. We live in a small house and have one great room. We installed a ceiling fan yesterday and one of the 3 is scared to death. He stays under the bed all day and night. Will he go to bathroom other than the litter box? I carried him and hid his eyes to the food but then the litter box and he looked up and bolted Help! How long will this last?
Category: Cat
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.

It may take a few days. You may want to turn if off in the evening, when you go to bed, so he is free to move about the house without fear...eat and drink. Then over the next few days with it on he will realize no threat.

Dr.V

DanaDVM, Cat Answer Team
Experience: Cat Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: For now I will keep it off at night so then it will be dark to litter box and food. I'll see what happens after a couple days. Thank you.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
 Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: It has been 3 days. I can only assume he goes to the litter box in the night. He has stayed under the bed all 3 days. I just hope tomorrow is better.
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
Okay...call around and see if you can find a product called Homeopet Anxiety (www.homeopet.com) it is a natural product that you can give this cat daily and it lessens the anxiety.  There is also a spray called Feliaway that releases pheromones that make cats "relax" and "happy"...we use it in shelters to help ease the stress.
Your vet may have it or a quality petstore.

Dr.V

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Vamvakias's Post: Thank you for the additional info. I will look for it. He did come out on his own but he first stopped at the bedroom door to peer out and then cautiously walked close to the wall and went to litter box and then food. But back around the corner his eyes sees the fan and he bolts back under the bed. He did also sleep back on top of the bed last night. I'm sure he will be fine I just want to make it easiest for him. Thanks [email protected]
Expert:  DanaDVM replied 11 years ago.
Sounds great...it will take time...but the coming out is an excellent sign!