Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

indoor cat hides and hisses

MY 7 YEAR OLD "FIXED"MALE INDOOR CAT HAS RECENTLY STARTED HIDING AND HISSING AT US. (2 ADULTS NO CHILDREN)WE COULD BE PETTING HIM AND LISTENING TO HIM PURR BUT AS SOON AS WE GET UP, HE HISSES, GROWLS AND RUNS INTO CLOSETS AND UNDER THE BED. WE LIVE IN THE TOP FLOOR OF A HOUSE AND THE WOMAN WHO LIVES IN THE BASEMENT HAS A 6 OR 7 MONTH MALE CAT WHO IS NOT "FIXED," COULD THAT BE THE PROBLEM?

Yes.  It could definitely be the problem.

Hissing and hiding can also indicate that he is in pain so, if it persists, you need to see the vet to rule out a bigger problem.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: He had a uninary blockage in August but I am paranoid about that and watch his bowel movements constatntly (Gross ;-)) He seems not scared just "edgy" in HIS house. FYI my cat cannot stand the woman from downstairs - he hisses at her and stares at her.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: THANK YOU.

THE CAT HAD A URINARY BLOCKAGE IN AUGUST AND SINCE THEN I'VE BEEN CAREFULLY MONITORING HIS BOWEL MOVEMENTS (GROSS ;-)

HE OFTEN HISSES AT THE OWNER OF THE CAT AND STARES AT HER, TO THE POINT WHERE I AM JUST NOT WANTING HER HERE.

THANK YOU, AGAIN. I WILL CONSULT MY VET

Since he had a previous blockage, you might want to see the vet again to rule out a medical cause for the aggression.

And you are more than welcome!  Come and see us again with all your questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
FOLLOW-UP:

WE VISITED THE VET (AFTER A 45 MINUTE WRESTLING MATCH TO GET HIM INTO THE CARRIER) AND ALL IS WELL. HE'S BASICALLY UPSET BECAUSE THERE IS ANOTHER MALE CAT IN HIS AREA.

***PLEASE DON'T LET THIS OUTCOME KEEP YOU FROM BRING YOUR ANIMAL TO THE VET TO GET PROPER ATTENTION.
I think you are smart to note the importance of the
downstairs cat in this issue.

Just a comment.