Elena Marie
Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience:  Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
15822

cats: clawed..is very lethargic and lays..was jumping around on top

We had the cat de-clawed about 6 months ago and are not sure if this is related to the cats current bahavior. The cat is very lethargic and lays around inside its cat box all the time now (for about the past 3 weeks). Prior to that, the cat was jumping around on top of everything. However, the cat eats properly and bathroom properly.

Is there something wrong?

When you say 'cat box', do you mean the cat's "litter box"? 

Also, how old is your cat? Do you have any other cats in your home?  

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: The 'cat box' is its cat-basket, it is a comfortable place for the cat to lay down with a cat bed, etc. It is something similar to:
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?pfid=248176&club_id=248176&sz=12&sf=HM0106&rdr=1&cm_mmc=Portal*Yahoo*Yahoo-DF*h m0106

No other cats, no change in routine either. Cat eats properly and uses the litter box properly (as far as we know).
The cat is about 8 years old.
We're trying to find out why the cat lays around all the time now- could it be due to the winter, the de-claw? We can't remember the cat being this 'calm' before.
What do you think?

Is your cat female or male? Just wondered why you did not refer to its gender?

What are you feeding your cat? You said your cat was jumping around on everything before about six weeks ago. 

When you had your cat declawed, was he/she scratching all over the place?

If your cat is really lethargic, he/she could have the beginnings of a chronic illness that cats can get as they start aging. Perhaps chronic renal failure, diabetes, hypothyroidism or possibly even a tumor somewhere. Even just a cyst that is not cancerous can cause changes in a cats routine.

If this were my cat, I would definitely try to make an appointment at the vet's for a thorough examination, and blood work, and maybe even x-rays, if there is anything suspicious, such as a lump or swelling that wasn't there before. Maybe, since you have declawed your cat, it could be sad or bored without the front claws, and now there is not as much reason to run around and claw at wood or furniture, etc. But, since it has been six months since you said you declawed your cat, that doesn't seem likely that this would be the main reason for its lethargy since then.

Some illnesses can catch up with a cat that was normally active and then the cat may not feel well, and just lie around most of the time.

It could really be any number of things, or your cat may just be bored and unless you initiate playtime with it, he/she may just be  showing beginning signs of age, and with no other cat playmate, it may just be feeling blue. I do know that cats have very many different feelings, and my own have gone through periods such as you describe at different times.

Best thing, though, is to get a good checkup as I said, and rule out any diseases first. If everything is negative, and your cat is given a clean bill of health, then you might want to spend more time trying to "play" or interact with your kitty.

Eight is really not that old, and you are right to be concerned.

God bless and good luck! Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Elena Marie, Cat Rescuer and Caregiver
Experience: Cat Owner, Rescuer, and Caregiver to Many Chronically Ill Cats
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Elena Marie's Post: Thank you for the quick response. We're going to do our best to get the cat to the vet. However, in the past the cat has been extremely difficult to handle to get in the carry-case. Hence the reason why we had to do the de-claw since we took the cat to 3 different groomers (after much hassle to get the 6lb cat into the carry-case) and each said they couldn't handle the cat so not to bring it back to have its nails clipped.
Anyway, thanks again.

Hi Again,

Thanks for accepting my suggestions. Also, one thing you may want to try, to calm your cat down a little bit, is a product called "Pet Sedate" by Francodex. You can order it online, from several different places. Just type in the name "Pet Sedate" or Francodex Pet Sedate, into a Google or Yahoo search and it will bring up the different places.

There are 45 big soft tablets, and they are herbal and will be okay for your cat to take, as directed on the bottle.

I give this to my cats, and it doesn't "knock" them out, but it does help take some of the stress away from them. You might then find it easier to get your cat into the carrier that way. Also another product, but to me, not quite as good, is Rescue Remedy by Bach. That can be rubbed into the edge of the cats ear, as it is very concentrated, and easy to place on the skin. That too, is available online.

Thanks again, and God bless and good luck with your kitty!